+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Second hand newbie salt water advice

Question Second hand newbie salt water advice

I have fished fresh water for decades but never in the salt. My son (50) has a little fresh water fly fishing experience but has a good size boat (20+ft. with a flying bridge and an open stern area). I have come across some heavier "entry level" gear for his birthday consisting of a 9 ft. - 10 wgt. rod and reel set from Cabela's. I've tied some Lefty's Deceivers and some Clousers in sizes 1/0 and 2. He expects to fish in Long Island Sound in the area known as the Norwalk Islands,
    I there anyone available to point out where I have really screwed up and what I could do to improve things?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 03-30-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    what I could do to improve things?

Ray,

You could improve things by letting him take you out; hook into some schoolies, blues or, if you're really lucky, bonita or false albacore and you'll be hooked.
    Those flies will get things going in the right direction.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.

I grew up looking at those Norwalk Islands. I got one of my first kisses on one of them. The fishing was fun too but that was so long ago.

Hi Ray,
    As far as flies go, you are on the right track with the Clousers and you might also want to look into the SW patterns by Enrico Puglisi as well as some by Lefty Kreh. SW patterns are fun to tie because they are larger and easier to see and mostly synthetics are used to tie them. Some fly shops carry pre-packaged fly assortments for SW that might be a nice starter gift until your son decides what he finds works best for his fishing area. There are also some patterns by Captains/Guides in the Northeast Atlantic area who have their own patterns proven successful. So it might be a good idea to ask at the local fly shops for more info. As far as the gear goes, I have TFO 10wt rods and reels but I find myself going mostly with the TFO 8wt sw rod when fishing Fla for redfish and other inshore species.

Addendum:

Ray...forgot to mention that the Gartside Gurglers tied all white or white/chartreuse are also effective SW flies.
    gerri

Lou Tabory is from Redding and as I remember he talks about fishing the Norwalk Islands in his book Inshore Fly Fishing
    Picking up a copy of that book wouldn't hurt. He also wrote Lou Tabory's Guide to Saltwater Baits & Their Imitations.
    The Tabory Snake Fly is a go-to fly for me.
    Another Connecticut author is Ed Mitchell who has a few books worth reading as well. Fly Rodding the Coast is probably his best.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Qerri is right about the 10 wt. I used one for 1/2 hour and had to give up, the arm couldn't take it.

+ Reply to Thread