+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Flies?

Default Green Flies?

Okay I'm curious, do y'all have any green flies preferably chartreuse and in the 10-14 size range that y'all like to use? It seems like the more I fish my local rivers the more I'm convinced the trout love bright green. If you've got any kind of unique patterns of that kind, I would love to see them!
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

Take a look at these. The Green Weenie can often be productive. I've fished it as a dry and sub-surface.
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...een+weenie+fly

The green butt skunk is sometimes tied with more of a chartreuse than green section. Possibly a green egg sack added to your favorite fly would work also.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Pheasant tails with a chartreuse thorax do very well! I tie up a black pheasant tail with chartreuse wire and thorax that has come through for me a few times. Even adding a "hot spot" of thread right behind the bead can spice up a pattern.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

For a dry fly, the Lime Trude is a great attractor.

Joe

Liljoe, I tie an olive wooly bugger which works well. I start with a 1x or 2x long hook. The tail is yellow marabou with a wisp if red marabou at the bottom. The red marabou looks like the fly is bleeding. The body is mohair yarn. I palmer yellow hackle up the fly. The hackle is not dry fly grade. Burying the hackle stem into the yarn helps to preserve it. I often Gink the top and sides and fish it on and in the surface. If you want sink it, give it a bead head or weigh it with wire under the yarn. It works on the Duck for brim and trout. I use it up to size 6.

I hope I get a chance to meet you soon.

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

Small Western GREEN Drake I just tied, using dyed snowshoe and a biot body (smooth).

Google 'green rock worm' and you will find a bunch of patterns representing the larva of the Rhyacophila caddis. As Joe said the Lime Trude is a great dry.

AlanB Guest

Come caddis time (which is from about the end of April to the end of the season here) green is a great colour. This is one fly I use a lot, based on the Green Peter, I've called it the Greener Peter
    Greener_0001.jpg
    There is also another modern twist on a traditional wet fly, the Black Pennel. Its called the Dirty Wreaker and comes in two colour versions, red and green. The photo is of the red version but you get the idea (Sorry couldn't find the photo of the green). Its a Black Pennel with a dyed red or green partridge hackle on the front.
    Dirty Wreaker.jpg
    One other that gets some use if the Highland Rough Fly in green.
    Rough Flies_0010_edited-1.jpg
    There is one fly I make sure I am never without on the river. A green aphid imitation. Just a tiny ball of green dubbing which I usually put a turn or two of light blue dun hackle in front of, and sometimes wings of pearl tinsel. Though how important the hackle and wings are I don't know. I have seen trout take aphids in the middle of a hatch of mayflies (danica). What it is about these tiny flies I don't know, but they love 'em.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread