+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In town

Default In town

Went to my lab class this morning and to my delight there was no post lab assignment. I decided to take the time I would normally spend on the post lab and spend it on the water instead. Great choice! I vowed to get better at dry fly fishing this year and today it was worth it. The weather was a little chilly with that blasted north wind blowing my face the whole time, but it wouldn't be South Dakota without the wind. I got on the water right about the time BWO's started hatching. I could do no wrong, I would get a hit nearly every cast! I caught more than I could count. They hit everything I threw at them! A few of my dry flies turned into subsurface flies after a few too many run-ins with little teeth. I only left when the numbness in my feet/legs started to be too much to handle (forgot wool socks, oops). I certainly won't be so hesitant to throw dry flies in the future.

1900527_10152290638957427_2099057_o.jpg

Fishing Rapid Creek in downtown Rapid City is a real hoot! You can be surrounded by birthday parties, joggers, kids in play grounds and golfers and still catch fish! It just aint right ya know!!

But you won't catch trout in SD. Cause there ain't none. Just ask Betty.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

C'mon over to the Dark Side, BigDan. Admit it, you caught trout not only in South Dakota, but in the Black Hills. Don't let Betty intimidate you. But, if you do come to the Dark Side, be VERY careful about any apples you should eat.

Ed

P.S. Betty, if you get caught out attempting to slip any of your special apples into South Dakota, you might be banned from angling in SD.

BigDan, in the Garden of Eden there was a serpent. Ever wonder where that serpent slithered off to? Be weary of the one who cast doubts about there being no trout in SD.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    BigDan, in the Garden of Eden there was a serpent. Ever wonder where that serpent slithered off to? Be weary of the one who cast doubts about there being no trout in SD.
    TyroneFly, please remember who handed out the apple and who spent 6 months as a toad. Although I have been researching how to do to Cheez-Its what Swamp Witch Betty does to apples. <evil grin>

BigDan, you don't have to believe the Internet. Just look into the bottom of your own net.

One of these days I'm going to have to go to the Black Hills to PROVE the existence of trout there.

Ed, trying to develop an okra flavored Cheez-Its for Miss Betty

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Fishing Rapid Creek in downtown Rapid City is a real hoot! You can be surrounded by birthday parties, joggers, kids in play grounds and golfers and still catch fish! It just aint right ya know!!
    My personal favorite are the people's dogs who jump into the creek right on top of you. And I forget to mention the little beavers, I had a little one try to crawl up my leg on this trip. Scared the #$%& outta both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    But you won't catch trout in SD. Cause there ain't none. Just ask Betty.
    We just have a unique strand of creek chub. But they're no fun to catch so don't bother. If you insist on catching these creek chubs, then certainly don't go any of the places that I go, they are the worst. I only go to those spots to let other folks have the more productive spots, its just the nice kind of guy I am.

Kaboom1 picked up 14 golf balls while fishing for the non-trout in Rapid Creek in Rapid City, SD. He only had to duck twice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Kaboom1 picked up 14 golf balls while fishing for the non-trout in Rapid Creek in Rapid City, SD. He only had to duck twice!!
    Jack,

I was fishing for Spotted Dace...that is the only thing to fish for in the Black Hills.

There were a TON of golf balls in Rapid Creek. I only picked up 14. Could have supplied a pro shop for a year. The only conclusion I could come up with is the golfers in Rapid City should take up another hobby, or we should by stock in the golf ball manufacturers.

I must be off,

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

This is one place I would love to get back to and maybe find a few golf balls, it's a water hazard in south Florida that has small tarpon in it. I caught a couple on a bass weight spinning rod and have dreamed of getting back and trying them on a 5 or 6 wt. every since. They are about as long as your arm but come out of the water like a rocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread