Thread: Leader for pike

Threaded View

I don't want to get into a peeing match as everyone has their own favs. so I'm sharing this coming from my own couple decades of fishing for "teeth", both pike and muskies...which my favorite! So, for what it's worth...

From the end of your fly line which has a loop tied in the end by way of 3/0 tying thread and the wraps coated with "something hard". I've use Sally Hansens Hard As Nails but now prefer Clear Cure Goo as I have some and a light. Either does fine..

Make a 4-5 ft leader out of any 20-30 lb mono. The cheap stuff. You can spend a lot of $$ if you wish ... I use Trilene XT just 'cause I have a ton of it from my casting days.

Tie a Perfection loop in the end of this mono leader. Small loop. On the business end I use some supple, braided 17 lb (pike) 26 lb (approx.) American brand Wire or Tyger brand wire.

Attach this to the leader via an Allbright knot and leave it about 16" long. This length makes it easier to use more flies w/o having to re-tie another wire tippet on....nothing other than that. I'll change/re-tie another wire tippet when I get down to around 6-8" left!

The knot!

It's called a Jig Loop. Tie an overhand knot about 3" from the end of the wire tippet BUT don't pull it totally shut. Leave it "just loose enough" to insert the end of this wire back into. Now put the tag end into the hook eye.

Now push this tag end through that overhand knot...that you left loose "enough" but not too loose, right? Now, take and make a 1/2 hitch just behind that overhand knot and snug it up.

Make a second 1/2 hitch again behind this one but this time pull her tight with a pair of pliers!

Done! If it turned out right..and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how tight that overhand knot was...you'll end up with a neat little "jig loop" that your fly can swing freely on!!!

If it didn't turn out just perfect don't sweat it. Fish it anyhow. And I find it best to try to tie a few of these in the plain cheap mono before I go fishing...for a test!

Really, it's simple.

Yeah, wire kinks but only when I finish tussling with a fish. If it's too bad I'll just re-tie.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04-03-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling