+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader for pike

Hybrid View

Default Leader for pike

Soon I'll be able to chuck flies for pike on some of the local lakes and that made me realize, I have no leaders for pike. I did some research online and the answers really seem to vary between wire and heavy duty mono/fluoro.

What do you folks use? I'm leaning more towards something with wire as I've seen pike slice thru 40 lb mono like butter.

50 lb test or higher flourocarbon tippet with 30 lb mono main leader. Works great for pike - check out the fishing reports forum and look for North of Superior.

BigDan,

After trying both, I settled on light wire leaders made from beading wire.

I know several great pike fishermen that swear by heavy mono/fluorocarbon tippets, but I just did not like the way that such tippets effected the action of my flies.

Light (15 to 20 pound) wire bite tippets around four inches long work best for me.

Up to you, though. Both seem to have their devotees.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks for the insight guys. I stopped thru the local Scheel's and found some wire tipped leaders on sale so I guess I'll be giving that a try.

The wire leaders work well enough in preventing bite offs but what you might notice is that they tend to curl after a few fish. Tie a snap swivel to your flouro tippet. This allows all the action you want on your fly and makes changing easier. Usually on pike flies the little bit of added weight makes no difference to casting or anything else.

I use 25 to 30 lb fluorocarbon when I'm in an area with pike. Since the main target is smallmouth, I really don't like to use wire. I've had a few bite offs but not enough to make me want to switch of over to wire. Another trick is to tie the fly on a long shank hook. Start the pattern in the back and tie it only half way up the shank. I've never had issues with the heavier tippet affecting the fly action. The only time I get any twisting with the leader is if the fly has a prop or spinner blade in the front.

+ Reply to Thread