+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do we fishermen/fly tiers rely too much on horizontal views of our flies?

Not being one of those primary researchers I cannot speak for them, but it does not follow that researchers have to agree for at least a couple of reasons. First, the research might not be complete. Second, even if a certain stage, say structure of trouts' eyes, is complete, there are other factors. Perception is not merely a matter of the function of the eyes, but also of the brain. I suspect that's why it was taught in my intro psychology classes. That is one of the reasons why certain types of observers, such as snipers, are taught observation so rigorously. Perception involves both the physiology and the psychology of the perceiver.

I have omitted mentioning a third reason. Some of the researchers may be incompetent or have some reason to obfuscate the results. But then that is my own, potentially flawed, perception.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Steven, That is sort of my argument. All studies (that I am aware of) of what a trout sees in the water agree that they first sight wing tips of an insect or a fly coming into their "window" of vision. Then, they see the impression in the meniscus on the water of the body/legs; finally, when the object is close to them, the wings align with the body and show the entire insect/fly.
    Only if the insect or fly is sitting completely on top of the water, which only happens for a fully emerged adult. Since many of our flies imitate insects emerging with a lot of the pattern under the surface, fish see the underwater parts from a long way off with no interference from the water/air surface mirror. Notice how clear the hook is in the image below.

Back to your original question, good point - view from below is much better! To go one step further, we should look at how the fly looks floating in the water, so drop the fly in a clear glass and look at in from all sides.

I think you'll find that many flies show quite a bit under the surface. Unless you gink up the shuck, the X-Caddis is going to float with the abdomen and shuck beneath the surface. From that view it closely resembles a sparkle dun as others have said. Both resemble an emerging mayfly, since many mayfly nymphs float slanted close to horizontal just below the surface while the adult emerges. The wing may resemble the adult climbing out but looks pretty fuzzy from below the surface.

I'm amazed at how much a floating flies image changes from just ahead to directly below. Just float a few patterns in a glass. It's quite striking.

From this:

sectionfive2.jpg

To this:
    sectionfive4.jpg

These images from J Castwell's wonderful series, "Flies Only" which is found in the Features section of this website.
    Doesn't this explain many last second refusals?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 03-27-2014 at 08:20 PM.

And then you have the trout hitting cigarette butts and leaves floating along. Go figure.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I believe that the founder of this site has a short explanation of how the trout "sees". Can't locate it now, but perhaps someone has a link to his summary? Caswell?
    You are correct. The explanation is a fine series of 12 articles called "Flies Only" by J Castwell himself. The Flies Only articles can be found in the Features Section in the left column of the FAOL home page.

It is hard to link to articles on this site because of the frame infrastructure, but here's a link to the series:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/fliesonly/
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 03-27-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Bruce
    I think he covers it in sections 3-6 on that link.

Doesn't your original concern assume that we are considering only dry flies?
    For dries, I agree completely. For subsurface flies I would think that all views would be important.

Blog Entries

Ray, yes, I am talking about dries. Like the ones I photographed.

+ Reply to Thread