+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ferrule Pin Removal

Default Ferrule Pin Removal

Picked up another "blue collar" bamboo rod- 9' Montague Sunbeam. Test casting the rod, I noticed the infamous ferrule "click" and decided their being reseated was a necessity. Any recommendation on pin removal if there are small existing splits caused by the pins? I'm concerned driving it deeper will create a larger split and can't seem to get a grip on the head of the pin w/pliers.
    Thanks.

PS. DLEO any luck with the 32" butt?

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 28 January 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Montauge was not famous for putting pins all the way through their ferrules. Most of the ferrules were pinned half way through and the only real way to get the ferrule off is to drive the pin into the bamboo and remove it after you get the ferrule off. I made a very small punch for just that and haven't had a problem since. Some makers did make the pins that went all the way through the ferrule and those are a little easier.

Good luck with it.

Dleo,
    Thanks for feedback. After driving the pin in (removing it after the ferrule is off)and resetting the ferrule, would you recommend replacing it with another pin? Modern epoxies seem to be sufficient.
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

It is ok to reuse the pin if it isn't bent, it already is the same diameter as the hole in the ferrule and matching that could be a task in itself. Be sure to take a really good look at those ferrules, they tend to crack and it is rare when you find a Monty that has all the ferrules that are not cracked

Closely inspected the ferrules and they are in excellent condition- still shiny.I think the original glue used just dried and left gaps causing clicks.
    Overall, looks like the rod saw very little use. The intermediate wraps are I believe original tan/green/red but looks awful and reminds me of a dead Christmas Tree. I'll be rewrapping with my color preference.
    Thanks for the guidance.
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    Quinn

JC,
    Thought you might find this post interesting because of the fine s/story you wrote about a Sunbeam. Give me about a month and I'll post some pics of the rod. I'm sure the quality will not be anything near DLeo's South Bend recently posted but I will enjoy the process nonetheless.
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    Quinn

+ Reply to Thread