Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; March 17 to 24, 2014

?I have fished for many trout in my time,? protested the man, ?and I have never seen anyone use flies that size.?

?If you want to spend all day targeting a half to one and a half pound fish, no, these flies won?t work for you,? I answered. ?We are talking about predators; the big boys only come out to hunt under the cover of night. You don?t catch these guys fishing the standard tactics. You catch them with big flies, when everyone else has gone home to bed.?

?I?m listening,? he replied.

I continued, ?You need to hit the river about an hour before sundown and stake out your area. Read the water, look for signs and watch for movement. As the sun goes down and moon comes out watch for football sized rise forms. Look for falling water, back flows, and slots. We are talking about a heavy flow in that river and it takes a big fish to mark the surface in that way. When you find your target wait for the moon because your drifts need to be within inches of your mark.?

I saw his doubts decreasing as he said, ?You have my interest.?

?Okay,? I replied, ?I?ll make you a deal. You buy these flies, and use them the way I?m suggesting, and if you don?t catch the fish of a lifetime, or at least a trophy; I?ll give you your money back.?

?You?re on. I?ll try them tonight,? he answered.

Two days later, as Kim and I were unloading groceries got from Merritt, Linda came out back and said; ?there is a gentleman waiting to see you. He has been here for an hour and is excited about the fish he caught with your flies.?

Wanting to have some fun I put a concerned look on my face and walked out front.

The man was out of his seat and in my face the moment I entered the room. ?Your flies worked just like you said they would,? he exclaimed! ?I caught a twenty eight inch rainbow! Man; it was awesome!?

?Only one,? I cut in? ?I guess you want your money back.?

His jaw dropped, and he looked like I had a screw loose, questioning, ?Are you kidding me. That fish made my summer.?

I smile and congratulated him saying, ?That?s what it?s all about.?

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Pumpkinhead, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Micro Leach, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, or Halfback Nymph. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Renegade, Elk hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River back waters and sloughs are fishing well for cutthroat, rainbow, and Dolly Varden. For Cutthroat try: Alevin, Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, or Tied Down Minnow. For dolly varden try: Zonker, Flat Black, Big Black, Clouser's Deep Minnow, or Lefty's Deceiver.

The Vedder River is fair to good for rainbow, and steelhead. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Zulu, Soubou, or Irresistible. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Flat Black, GP, Kaufman Stone, Steelhead Spratley, Irresistible, or Stimulator.

The Harrison River is fair for cutthroat and rainbow.