+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YOU DECIDE - Panfish - Mar 26, 2014

Blog Entries

Default YOU DECIDE - Panfish - Mar 26, 2014

YOU DECIDE

I had been invited to a fish a pond where the owner was withdrawing water for his cattle. The owner was concerned that the fish would not survive the winter. When I arrived the pond had been drawn down over four feet. The day before went to the pond we got about an inch and a half of rain; most of it in twenty minutes.

simple......its plain "fly-spinning" ..

I'll take Blue gill fishing anyway its offered, they never disapoint & are a blast to catch.

Answer to question. NO. Would I have done it right beside you in those conditions? YES

Did you catch them on a fly? Sure did. And nothing against it. My boy learned to nymph with a small bobber and a beadhead on an ultrlight rig. Is it the legal definition of fly fishing in most situations? Nope.

I've often wondered who makes the rules and who gave them the authority to do so?? I would call it fishing with a fly and not necessarily fly fishing in the traditional sense. I believe it was (is?) in Michigan that waters designated fly fishing only allow for spinning rods as long as an artificial fly is used (could be mistaken).

I'd say you were fishing with a fly but not fly fishing.

As to who makes the rules, I think it is generally the state fish and game commission. I have a bigger beef with the "why" than the "who."

To me, the only valid reason to have "fly fishing only" restrictions is to preserve the fishery (and definitely NOT to preserve a way of fishing). I can understand why they would restrict bait fishing and even spin fishing with lures that have treble hooks. Both can cause increased mortality in released fish. But to prevent someone from fishing with a spinning rod, casting bubble and fly is just wrong in my view. If a fish is caught on a fly, it causes no more damage to the fish if the fly is cast with a spinning rod and casting bubble than if it was cast with a fly rod. I'm all for reasonable regulations that preserve the health of the fishery. I have nothing against "fly only" as long as all that is required is a fly. Whether the delivery mechanism is a fly rod or spinning rod doesn't matter to the fish and shouldn't matter to the regulators.
    Tenkara Bum

Or you could just make it "single barbless hooks" only

+ Reply to Thread