+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest Active Flyfisherman Here?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Oldest Active Flyfisherman Here?

Wish there were a poll option here.
    I am an aging fly fisherman. I am 68 and have no problems YET, but know my wading days may be numbered.

Just wonder, at what age have others felt they needed to hang up their rod.

I am not talking about bank fishing. I am talking about wading in fairly swift water.

Thanks

I'm 74 and plan to spend my 75th fishing the St. Joe in Idaho with my kid brother this September before heading down to Lowell, ID to the Idaho Fish-In!
    Tomorrow I'm meeting some friends to beat the Duck River here in Tennessee to a froth!!
    I did have some serious eye surgery in Dec. but that's healed up now!

Blog Entries

That bodes well for others.
    Thanks, Jack

75 years and on the river yesterday. Find that most times I don't need to get into the water. When I wade it is with a staff (old ski pole).

Blog Entries

OK, we are up to 75.....any more bids?

I am 66 and feel I am still in pretty good shape although right now I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery on my casting arm and hope to be released to fly fish again on April 14th. I am going to therapy 3 times per week and, according to my therapist, progressing very well. I have not cast a fly rod or fished since surgery on January 31st, and, yes, I am going stir crazy!

Prior to the surgery, I have noticed that I do not wade in moving water past my waist like I use to. My balance is not what it use to be, but, I have worked on improving my casting to reach areas that I use to get closer to by wading. I am still able to wade fast moving water (carefully) and I am still able to paddle my NuCanoe and explore many miles of the rivers here which I really enjoy. The NuCanoe eliminates a lot of walking and wading for me and that is a plus. At the present time, I do not see a time in my life where I will hang up my fly rod unless for a major health issue that would have to be so serious that it would put me down.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,

I no longer go out over my waist, and I do carry a ski pole with me. At times I do take my toon out on a lake, and even then I do ware a
    CGA Life vest. I will be turning 80 April 4th and am looking forward to it. To stay in practice I cast at the local park from the pitchers mound.
    Not many fish there but I try right and left handed casting. The distance from the mound to the bases is about all I need for the places I
    fish in N. Idaho. And besides I haven't lost a single fly to a tree or bush, and you don't have to match the hatch. The walk to the park is
    good therapy for me after my hip replacement. I even have a couple kids that want to learn to fly cast.

Crunchy

I'm 80 and turned to stillwater fishing when I couldn't wade anymore....sad memories since I remember when I used to wade up to my arm pits in the Deschutes...not an easy river to wade.

Folks around here think I'm doing well considering last summer when I was 79 I shot one less than my age playing golf.

Blog Entries

I am still green behind the ears, of course that green is moss, but what the heck. Nope not the oldest here, nor the youngest. I figure I still have many, many more years of fishing in Montana and WA left in me at 67. Larry ---sagefisher---

I will be 80 in June. I wade with a staff, in October I was steelheading on the Clearwater in Idaho and at the end of this week, I'm heading up to Casper, Wyoming to fish the North Platte at Grey Reef! I'm not as spry as I once was, but plan on fishing until they pry my flyrod from my cold dead fingers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

+ Reply to Thread