+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I finally got out to wet a line:)

Hybrid View

Default I finally got out to wet a line:)

It's been a long cold winter for most of us on the East Coast and even this far into the year, we're still getting morning temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s. I finally got out this afternoon to wet a line. For the first hour or so, it looked like I might get skunked, but then I found some nice fat bream who were willing to take my fly. Since the water is still a bit cool, I used my early season standby which is the SEM Sculpin tied in black with a grizzly collar. I ended up with about a dozen, all nice sized fish between 10-12 inches long. It sure felt good to get out in my kayak on a beautiful sunny afternoon. It will give me something to think about when I'm on my business trip all next week

Jim Smith

Jim

Glad you got to do some fishing. I have never fished out of a Kayak, but it sound like something I would like to try. I have never heard of a SEM Sculpin fly either so I will have to look it up to see what it looks like. Thanks for the post, and have a safe trip.

WayneC

Newbee, It's a deep water pattern developed by Carter Nelson. It's a pretty easy tie, here's a video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxc3azavAv8
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Those would be GIANT sunfish for my area! Nice!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Uncle Jesse.
    Thanks for the link. That fly was tied quickly and the video was clear on the dressing. Since most of my waters are shallower and I don't generally need to sink a fly 6-8 feet, I'll probably got with brass &/or bead-chain eyes. Also, I tie my eyes on the bottom of the hook to keep from injuring the eyes of brim which might take it.

I think the recipe would be something like:

Hook: Size 10 nymph hook.
    Thread: I think he mentioned 3/0 and used black.
    Tail: Clipped off a zonker strip.
    Body: Ultra chenille or vernille
    Eyes: Extra small, painted lead. Video used red. (I would substitute brass or bead-chain for shallower waters.)
    Wing: Krystal Flash in an appropriate color. Wing reached a little beyond the end of the hook. A moderate amount was used to reduce bulk and increase sink rate.
    Hackle: One wrap of grizzly saddle, webby
    Head: Dubbing in a color to match the fly.

The tyer mentioned a preference for all black and all olive as colors. Your favorites may vary.

Ed, I tied up a black and olive with medium bead chain eyes this afternoon. It's pretty rare for me to need to fish more than 3 - 4 ft. for bream, of course, that may be why Mr. Smith is catching foot long fish and I'm not very often. Or it could be that steroid plant's waste water that empties into his lake.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse,

I suspect the reason that I am able to catch those nice big fat bream has more to do with the fact that I'm fishing a 50 acre semi-private that gets very little fishing pressure. Of the fishing pressure it does get 90+% of it is for bass. Last spring, they stocked the lake with Georgia Giants, so in a couple of years, I should be catching some real dandies. They'll be loads of fun on my 3wt

I got to meet Carter Nelson and he showed me his SEM Sculpin pattern. Really nice guy and a very talented tyer. The water I fish in is usually between 4-6 feet deep so I only let the fly sink for a count of five before I start my retrieve. Then I use short, fast strips of about 4 to 5 inches with a 2 to 3 second pause between strips. Really productive pattern. I tie it mainly in black for bream and in bright chartreuse and white or purple and white for crappie.

NewBee,

As far as fishing from a kayak; once you go Yak, you'll never go back.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread