+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brad's (aka, oldfrat) news...

Hybrid View

Default Brad's (aka, oldfrat) news...

To quote oldfrat (Brad) from a different thread...

"I did add my prayers, even though I was questioning the value of my prayers at the time as a result of losing my bride of nearly 47 years on 3/5."

It is not within our power to understand God's plan, I only hope that you can take comfort in the memories of the 47 years you and your bride shared together. I'm sure I speak for your entire FAOL family when I say, our thoughts are with you, sir.

My condolences also. My wife and I will celebrate our 47 th this year.

What Royce said. Sorry for your lose.

Kerry
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Thanks, guys.

Charlie died suddenly, unexpectedly and medicated to be pain and worry-free after collapsing while visiting our son Evan's family and meeting a new grandson. Her underlying disease was only diagnosed two days before her death -- a rare and deadly form of an auto immune disease I'd never heard of before called scleroderma. It had previously manifested itself as rapidly advancing dementia and increasing joint pain. In its last manifestation it showed up as total kidney failure and then internal bleeding.

It may sound like a cliche, but I've now come to believe that her sudden passing was one of God's blessings. Both of our future lives would have been hellish if she had survived that last battle. She's now in a better place. I'm coming to grips with things and think I am back on the mend. If my rapid recovery and acceptance appears unseemly to you, please keep in mind that I have been grieving the loss of the wonderful woman I married for a few years now as this horrible disease ravaged her brain and her body.

She was a registered nurse and took unusually good care of her health. All of my retirement planning was based on the assumption she would outlive me by 20+ years. Adjusting to life without her is very strange.

In the interest of passing on some of my learning from this experience, please make sure you have prepared for your time by having all of the necessary documents in place:
    *Recently updated will (I've learned only 30% of people have them.)
    *Medical directive for end of life decisions. (File a copy with your PCP doctor.)
    *Medical Power of Attorney.
    *Financial power of attorney. (In case you become unable to make financial transactions/decisions before death.)
    *HIPAA medical information release forms. (A relatively new development you really need.)
    *A document stating your wishes for final arrangements of your remains, ceremonies, etc.

It is best to have a lawyer do these for you but, if you want to avoid the cost of that now, there is software called WillMaker that we used, will do a very adequate job for you and is easy to update as your life situation changes.

Please, folks, do your family a big favor and get these documents completed!

Brad
    Last edited by oldfrat; 03-22-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Brad,
    I too extend my sincerest condolences to you and yours. My wife and I will also be clebrating our 47th this June. I could not imagine life without her.

Mark

Brad, My condolences and thank you for your remarkable suggestions.

Brad,

I know this is hard to accept, but, you must remember that God makes no mistakes and He needed her for another adventure. He knows what you need and He will guide you and comfort you through this period in your life.

You and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

You have my deepest condolences.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread