+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christie's EP (EasyPeasy) Dun variation SBS

Default Christie's EP (EasyPeasy) Dun variation SBS

Took some liberties with Roy's fly http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...103104fotw.php
    subbing .5mm razor foam for the abdomen/thorax cover. From what I've read, the hooking problems with USD flies, noted by Steven on the Mosley Olive Dun thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I can't say from personal experience, but Datus Proper wrote in What the Trout Said, that upside down dries were poor hookers.
    can be somewhat alleviated by off-setting the hook point and keeping the wing soft, sparse and somewhat forward.
    Tied here in March Brown colors, change to suit your needs.

hook - Dai Riki 270 #12 (Roy uses longshank grub hooks, which I'm fresh out of)
    thread - MFC 8/0 brown
    tail - hackle fibers brown grizzly
    rib - Gudebrod rod-winding thread brown
    abdomen/thorax cover - .5mm foam tan
    wing - Congo Hair white
    thorax - dubbing tan
    hackle brown grizzly

Part 1

off-set point and add a little curve to the front of the hook shank

tie in thread and wrap back about halfway down hook bend

even up the tips of a few hackle fibers, measure for length (shank) and tie in

tie in ribbing

taper foam strip (1/2 gap width) and tie in

Part 2

wrap foam forward and tie off (no need to glue the foam since it's going to be ribbed)

rib abdomen, tie off and pull foam back

take a sparse hank of Congo Hair and tie on underside (which is actually the topside on an upside-down fly) at 80% mark; a bit farther forward than normal, but, as noted, trying to improve the hooking

pull down (or up, depending on orientation - very confusing) and add a few posting wraps to gather the wing

tie in hackle

dub thread (sparse), dub thorax

wrap hackle through thorax, tie off and trim

Part 3

pull the foam forward, splitting the hackle down the center stripe; tie off, trim, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

trim wing and have at it

Regards,
    Scott

Nicely done Scott. So for anyone who's fished a USD pattern, what makes it land hook-point up?

Curtis,

Aerodynamics and a lotta hope.

Regards,
    Scott

And the placement of the hackle. Excellent, Scott. Thanks.

Joe

Looking at the fly, unless it is really plopped down hard, if it hits hook down, the resultant high CG should result in it rolling over, physics.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

AlanB Guest

The problem of will the fly balance as it should isn't a question of which way up it will stand, but is 90 degrees to that. Will it tip forward or back. You may have a real problem with tying that fly on a long shank hook. Having tried them I soon found out why Roy now ties them on standard and short shank hooks. The bend of the hook, being such a long way from the support of the hackle, will hang down in the water. My solution was to tie them on Partridge K14ST hooks, that have a similar bend but much shorter shank. Every one I tried on 200r or K12 ST model hooks suffered from this problem. Here's a picture of one that Roy published just yesterday,
    Roys USD.jpg

If you look at the illustrations in Roy's FOTW you will see that his hook isn't a very long long shank, with an upturned eye. Also the hackle is placed far enough back to almost touch the hook point. All factors in overcoming this balance problem.

I'm sure I have seen a similar version to yours before Scott, It is almost identical to one in Progressive Fly Tying published several years ago!

Cheers,
    A.

I had the problem of the fly tilting backward with the eye of the hook sticking way up in the air due to the weight of the bend. Roy advised me to have the first turn of hackle pointing more toward the bend, or "dress the hackle over the thumbnail" as he called it. Still not sure what that means but having some of the hackle splaying backward cured the problem.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The problem of will the fly balance as it should isn't a question of which way up it will stand, but is 90 degrees to that. Will it tip forward or back. You may have a real problem with tying that fly on a long shank hook. Having tried them I soon found out why Roy now ties them on standard and short shank hooks. The bend of the hook, being such a long way from the support of the hackle, will hang down in the water. My solution was to tie them on Partridge K14ST hooks, that have a similar bend but much shorter shank. Every one I tried on 200r or K12 ST model hooks suffered from this problem. Here's a picture of one that Roy published just yesterday,
    Attachment 12800

If you look at the illustrations in Roy's FOTW you will see that his hook isn't a very long long shank, with an upturned eye. Also the hackle is placed far enough back to almost touch the hook point. All factors in overcoming this balance problem.

I'm sure I have seen a similar version to yours before Scott, It is almost identical to one in Progressive Fly Tying published several years ago!

Cheers,
    A.
    Alan,

I'm hoping the foam provides enough floatation to keep the abdomen up; need to test it on moving water. I'll try tying some on a Dai Riki 125 emerger hook and see how that looks, too. Thanks everyone for your input.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread