+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for rugged reader (magnifying) glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    Royce,
    I also don't think they would work well on a wide brimmed hat.
    I'm also not sure about the angle of the glasses when attached to any sort of hat.
    I had the same thought. I tried them on and they seemed like a good concept but I, too, was concerned about them working on a wider brimmed hat, which I sometimes wear.

I use the magnifiers which attach directly to your hat(I wear baseball style hats).

Hat Eyes by Mageyes. Short, abrupt learning curve.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Ive tried the flip-downs, they just dont work for me.

I'm a HUGE fan of the "Clics" Warren posted about. I've had mine for 5 years of daily wear. They finely broke and I've since replaced them with the same. They work great for on the river too. You'll become more challenged as time goes by though, especially with the really small flies (I love fishing small flies). In that case I bring an extra, cheap pair of cheaters, that gives me that added magnification for threading tiny tippet into tiny holes. Works great. (You can also use those clip on flip ones for this purpose...but the Clics are a MUST HAVE, IMHO. I LOVE THEM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    Ive tried the flip-downs, they just dont work for me.
    I hate them. Last pair I had lasted about 4 hours. Fell apart on the river. They are hard to focus with and if you don't flip them back under the hat, they can give you a nasty burn on a sunny day. It's Clic's forever for me.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Here's a video on the Spex Flex. they incorporate Warren's idea with a clip. They not only clip to your hat, but you can clip them directly to your sunglasses.

http://midcurrent.com/2011/10/04/flex-spex-magnifiers/

Warren,

Thanks for that link!
    I ended up buying the Clics in the XXL size. I haven't tried them on the river yet....but they fit GREAT!
    The ones I tried on in the drug store were way too small. They pressed on the back of my head and the bridge of my nose.
    It was like wearing some sort of brace on my head.

The XXL Clics are completely adjustable. The back slides wider and narrower. There is also adjustment for the temple pieces to slide out and in.
    If you hadn't posted that link, I would have just written them off based on the ones I saw at the pharmacy.
    Thanks again!

Brian

I used a pair of these last year and they worked very well. Didn't have to bother changing glasses when tying on a fly. Sunglasses and a small bi-focal type magnifier all in one.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Po...asses/14047701

bqreer,

I am glad that the link worked and they had what would work out for you. I wear bifocal glasses and have to contend with clip-on sun glasses which have worked fairly well so far for me. I always see good sunglasses that I would like to use but they are not prescription sunglasses and, even though they would would work great on the water, I would not be able to see to tie anything on the line! : ) I know I could get prescription sunglasses but would have to contend with switching back and forth and would, eventually, lose one of them plus prescription sunglasses are not cheap and, once scratched, would not be useable. For now, I will continue to use my bifocal prescription glasses with clip-on sunglasses which has been a good combination for my fishing so far. I have tried several of the "fit-over" sunglasses and they all make me feel as though I am wearing goggles and they keep sliding down and are just a pain to use.

I am glad that I was able to provide something that worked for you. Now, go and enjoy them on the water.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread