+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for rugged reader (magnifying) glasses.

Hybrid View

Default Recommendations for rugged reader (magnifying) glasses.

I'm looking around for some magnifying glasses (readers) that are pretty rugged.
    For use while fishing.

I have some glasses that I use while tying flies and rod building. But they have wire frames and arent very stout.
    I'd like to find something that will hold up to fishing and that I can use with eyeglass keepers, around my neck. Wire frames don't work too well with those.

I swap between my polarized glasses (while fishing) and the readers (while tying tippet knots).

I'm not looking for fitover readers, nor looking for flip-down readers, nor adding reader stick-ons to my polarized sunglasses.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I use readers the same way. Polarized sunglasses while fishing, replaced with readers for tying knots. Although I have my sunglasses on a keeper arond my neck and the readers in my shirt pocket or in my chest pack.

I've had plenty of success with the cheap readers from the dollar store. More than good enough optical quality for the minute or so that I wear them at a time and cheap enough not to worry about durability.

bqreer,

After reading your post, this was the first thing that came to mind and may or may not be what you are looking for:

http://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/c...?sort=priceasc
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks Warren. Those would be great.......except.....they don't fit my huge melon.

I tried some of those on the other day. I could hardly even get them close enough to click together. lol

If they fit me, I'd be all over those.

Warren,

After cruising around on the link you posted, I saw that they have XXL size that "Fits Large Size Head".

I'll be looking into those.

Thanks!

I'm in the same "boat" ...

I buy the readers from Dollar Tree @ $1.00 a pop. They are affordable for the abuse and neglect I put them through.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    bqreer,

After reading your post, this was the first thing that came to mind and may or may not be what you are looking for:

http://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/c...?sort=priceasc
    Warren's post reminded me...

About a year ago, at an outdoor show, I saw some magnetic magnifying glasses that, instead of sitting on your ears like regular glasses, had flexible side pieces that clipped to the bill of your cap. Can't remember the name and can't find them with an internet search.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Warren's post reminded me...

About a year ago, at an outdoor show, I saw some magnetic magnifying glasses that, instead of sitting on your ears like regular glasses, had flexible side pieces that clipped to the bill of your cap. Can't remember the name and can't find them with an internet search.
    Royce,

Those are called Flex Spex. I looked at those and they look like a good idea.
    But, I don't know how well they would hold up.
    I also don't think they would work well on a wide brimmed hat.
    I'm also not sure about the angle of the glasses when attached to any sort of hat.

Orvis sells readers in 4x and 5x (I've never seen anything that high in the drug stores). They cost more but have real frames. I use a pair of 5x for both tying and fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    Royce,
    I also don't think they would work well on a wide brimmed hat.
    I'm also not sure about the angle of the glasses when attached to any sort of hat.
    I had the same thought. I tried them on and they seemed like a good concept but I, too, was concerned about them working on a wider brimmed hat, which I sometimes wear.

+ Reply to Thread