Bought an old fiberglass rod at a garage sale that I am starting to refinish and use to practice wrapping guides. When I bought the rod I noticed that the guide wraps on the tip section (those that were still original that is) were red and gold, while the remaining original wraps on the butt section were blue and gold. The reel seat was also a matching blue aluminum, so I just thought that the tip and butt sections were from different rods, even though they seemed to fit together perfectly. Was removing some newer rewrapping thread that someone had attempted to put at the base of the female ferrule on the butt section. When I got it off the original ferrule wrap thread was underneath. Amazingly, the original ferrule wraps were RED, an exact match with the thread used on the tip section wraps (which explains why the pieces fit so well together)! The rod is a Conolon Live Fiber Cardinal 408.

Has anyone ever heard of a company wrapping a rod with two totally different primary colors? Not in an organized sort of way, but just stopping part way through a rod and wrapping the rest of it with a totally different color? Why on earth would Conolon have wrapped a rod in such a way? I have the rod all stripped down and ready to rewrap. If this practice was common for Conolon, I might go ahead and rewrap it that way. Maybe not though, I think it sort of looks goofy!