+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosley Olive Dun by Davie McPhail

Default Mosley Olive Dun by Davie McPhail

A buddy of mine brought this to my attention and I was wondering if any of you have experience with or thoughts about this style fly.

I thought the swept up / back hackle was quite interesting (and unique to my knowledge). Seems like it would yield a nice low riding dun similar to the Comparadun.

Also thought the mixing of hackles colors, especially pink, was interesting. I always thought mixes of colors were more natural looking than mono colors, but haven't seen it done much with hackles (Adams hackle being a noticeable exception).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOYz77niGc

Blog Entries

John,
    I watch most of his videos. I think he is one of the very best tiers around today.

Yeah, the boy has skillz.

AlanB Guest

John, Its a style of fly that, has for me replaced parachutes to imitate adult flies (I still use parachute emergers). The method Davie uses to get the profile is something I haven't seen done with hackle before, however I have been doing similar with CdC for years. The standard fly, which I vary in size and colour to imitate different species, is similar to one that Hans posted here some time ago.

The difference here is really only the method of forming the profile of the hackle.

How I use this method with CdC is in patterns like this. Some of you may recognise this as a Marc Petitjean style dun with the addition of Wally Wings.
    WWMP_0006.jpgWWMP_0007.jpg

To go back to my earlier point about my preference for these over parachute dun imitations. I have, on several occasions, fished hatches when the trout will take a fly like this, but will not touch a parachute. It has been so noticeable I did an experiment. Tying parachute duns and trimmed thorax duns out of the same materials. The result of my experiment was to reject parachutes for dun imitations.

Another point from the video that is interesting is the use of mixed colours. This is something I do for all the dubbing on my wet flies. I don't wish to open the debate again here, so I will just say the importance of colour in dry flies is dubious. However if it gives you more confidence go for it. I don't think it will do any harm, even if it doesn't add much.

Cheers,
    A.
    Attached Images Attached Images

30 or so years ago when I first got seriously interested in fly fishing and tying, I went to a fly fishing conclave in Dallas and saw a guy (I have no idea who it was) use a goose biot on the bottom of the thorax to achieve the same result of splitting and sweeping the hackle up. He tied it in, wrapped the hackle and pulled it forward. I remember him saying that mayflies had a "chest plate" and this technique simulated it. I have no recollection of him talking about the fact that the fly would ride lower in the water using this method, but that may be yet another thing I have forgotten. I do remember thinking how neat it looked.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    A buddy of mine brought this to my attention and I was wondering if any of you have experience with or thoughts about this style fly.

I thought the swept up / back hackle was quite interesting (and unique to my knowledge). Seems like it would yield a nice low riding dun similar to the Comparadun.

Also thought the mixing of hackles colors, especially pink, was interesting. I always thought mixes of colors were more natural looking than mono colors, but haven't seen it done much with hackles (Adams hackle being a noticeable exception).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOYz77niGc
    The swept up hackle is not dissimilar from the effect created by Datus Proper with his Perfect Dun or by Bill Heckel in his Biot Dun.
    As for the mix of hackles/colors, check out the writings of Catskill tier/artist John Atherton and his Atherton series of dry flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    30 or so years ago when I first got seriously interested in fly fishing and tying, I went to a fly fishing conclave in Dallas and saw a guy (I have no idea who it was) use a goose biot on the bottom of the thorax to achieve the same result of splitting and sweeping the hackle up. He tied it in, wrapped the hackle and pulled it forward. I remember him saying that mayflies had a "chest plate" and this technique simulated it. I have no recollection of him talking about the fact that the fly would ride lower in the water using this method, but that may be yet another thing I have forgotten. I do remember thinking how neat it looked.

Joe
    I'd lay odds this was Bill Heckel.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Yeah, the boy has skillz.
    Every time I try to do the tail like Davie, the fibers go flying. I cannot figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    saw a guy (I have no idea who it was) use a goose biot on the bottom of the thorax to achieve the same result of splitting and sweeping the hackle up. He tied it in, wrapped the hackle and pulled it forward. I remember him saying that mayflies had a "chest plate" and this technique simulated it.
    Joe,

Roy Christie uses pheasant tail fibers to create the "chest plate" on his EasyPeasy USD

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...103104fotw.php

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

Several years ago, right after that fly came out as a FOTW, I exchanged a few emails with Roy because I couldn't get the fly to sit on the water correctly. Roy is a great, great guy and took me through the steps one by one to help me with the problems I was having and ways to correct them. He was telling me about all the different materials that could be used in place of the pheasant tail fibers and added this statement: "I am very reliably informed that the trout use the thorax as a target." I am still not sure why that pattern and style hasn't become more popular because it looks more like a real mayfly on the water than any other I've come across.
    I have come to believe Roy's informant about the thorax was a trout. He's the Fish Whisperer.

Joe

+ Reply to Thread