+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pelican Trailblazer 10 fish finder recomendations

Default Pelican Trailblazer 10 fish finder recomendations

I just got a Pelican sit in. It is the 10' angler model. Can anyone suggest a fishfinder? What power supplies would you suggest?
    Thanks,
    Bill

I have a Lowrance Elite 4, color display with GPS in my primary fishing kayak. Mine is a a WS Ride135 Sit On Top, so there were unlimited mounting and rigging options for the finder. With a sit-in, you are going to have additional challenges and limitations to overcome. You'll either have to do a shoot-through-hull mount in an adhesive bed, or figure out some way to hang a contraption over the side to hold the transducer and manage the wires. As to the power supply, every finder I know of uses 12VDC. I use 3.5 amp-hour sealed lead acid AGM VRE batteries and get over a full day of use from one charge. I built a watertight battery box from a correctly sized snap-top tupperware box and it is velcro-d inside my hull.

I would not even consider a finder that does not have integrated GPS. Lowrance, Humminbird, and Garmin all make very good stuff.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Thank you for the Information. I was afraid I had left everyone speechless... Any experience with the Hummingbird 100 series portables? They are in the "contraption hanging over the side" category.

sorry, no experience with that. In my Kakak fishing, as with other things, I try to work hard at simplifying everything. The less crap hanging off or sticking out, the better. Some kayak fishermen I see have boats rigged to look almost comical-- fifteen rods sticking out at all angles, 5 camera mounts, transducer mounts, great huge rail mount console things, good lord. I use a scupper mount for my transducer, cables all inside the hull, then a removable mount in the center between my feet for the display. K.I.S.S. I'm not making a dig at you, but that is one of the many reasons why SOT kayaks seem to be much favored for fishing over SINKs. In my second Kayak, a Tarpon120, I have not mounted a finder. I use it more for river and creek fishing where I am in much less need of all that the finder does.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I have a Ride 115, with a Lowrance Elite 4 gps/2d BW model for mine, on a RAM mount. Since you have a SINK, you are a bit more limited on mounting options, but its possible. I would mount the transducer to the inside of the hull, possibly under the seat or in one of the storage areas, and use GOOP marine adhesive, make a good size puddle of it and stick the transducer down in it and let it set up. You can remove it/GOOP with a putty knife if needed. Can also use plumbers putty as well, but have not tried it. Google transducer install for kayak, and you'll get some good tips on how to do it, and possibly even for your particular yak. If you do use GOOP, make sure there are NO air bubbles in the goop, as it will cause interference just like air bubbles around the transducer if in water will cause interference.

For power, I use a 12v deer feeder battery, and made a watertight battery box with connectors. Battery will power my FF for 2-3 trips before it needs re-charging. Again, google this and you'll have some good leads on how to do your install.

Try looking here

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/index

I have a Nucanoe Frontier 12 and have used a Humingbird Fishin Buddy that I have rigged to hang over the side
    It is not ideal but is highly portable and does the trick for most of the waters I fish.

DuFf

Not real pleased with the clamp but, this Is what I ended up with...
    Attached Images Attached Images

At least the clamp fits on the gunnels of your boat,
    Both my yaks are too wide for the clap to fit.
    I have fasted it on with a modified Ram rod holder

+ Reply to Thread