+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boise, Idaho Fishing

Hybrid View

Default Boise, Idaho Fishing

My 14 year old grandson wants us to go fly fishing in the Boise, Idaho area sometime this June. Any recommendations regarding guides and lodging from those of you who have been there to fish will be appreciated. Hope this is the correct area to post this request. Thanks in advance.

We really need a bit more information. When in June? Early could have rivers running high, later is better. Is your grandson a proficient wader and flyfisher? How far from Boise are you willing to drive? How many days do you have allocated to fish?

As for guides, I'd call the local shops-- Idaho Anglers on Vista and Anglers on Overland. If you're looking to Eastern Oregon then contact Dave Tucker at:

http://www.dreamsonthefly.com/dave-tucker.html

One of the major rivers near Boise doesn't allow commercial guiding, plus it received a major burn and mudslides last fall/winter so it remains to see how it fared this summer, plus it is a river you'd float during June as it's somewhat difficult for beginners to access at its higher summer flows.

You may also want to consider the Sun Valley area as it has a lot of good water as well.

Sounds like you should have a lot of fun planning and executing this trip.

The Boise River at Barber Park has always been nice to me in June. No Guide needed. Also along the hwy that runs up to Idaho City(Hwy 21). Idaho City is a great old mining town too. If you go over the top on 21, you reach the Salmon river where it is small, and that is nice too.

Definitely go to the Old penitentiary in Boise as well, especially if any of you like old guns..they have the greatest old collection...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Contact Cory and he'll get you in touch will get you with Bryan who lives in Boise and guides the area. There is some great fishing in the area. I was there a few years ago and I will be going back.

http://www.deschutesriveranglers.com/Guides.html

I fished the Owyhee in eastern Oregon a few years a go and it was excellent. Very nice quality browns. I thought it was a very scenic river...kind of arid like a high desert. I think it was about a 45 minute drive from Boise.

The Payette up north of town can be good too, but depends on snowpack that time of year. if you are interested in a put and take fishery, about 2 hours from Boise, where you can get fish in insane numbers at times (you will lose count if it's good) PM me...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread