+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Basin N.P. ??

Hybrid View

Default Great Basin N.P. ??

It looks like my youngest will be an "Artist in Residence" at Great Basin this summer. Thinking that I've never been to that park a visit may be in order. the web site does say there is fishing? has anyone "been there, done that". tips, suggestions,ideas.
    Thanks
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

After the wife looked it up, Google the park. There is a lot of info, for fishing, camping, bird watching, to start the list. Now, about when are you planning to go?
    This sounds like a place my wife and I could get really lost in!
    Wyo-Blizzard

he's not exactly sure when he is going. They are still working that out but I'm thinking julyish. I do like the the part about having a bunch of ghost towns. to me that just sound kind of cool.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

The wife says, Stock up before you enter the park, make your reservations early, and don't always plan on eating at the local eateries, as per the park web page. This place has been added to our bucket list. And that may not include fishing, oh well.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 03-10-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

"Great Basin NP", ( ain't ever heard of it) sounds like it's just outside and West of Laramie. AND, since it's in Wyoming (???). and that's where "I'd rather be", it'll also on MY bucket list. If it's where I'm assuming, even if there is no fishing there to speak of, I know a whole bunch of spots very close to there (???)

Mark
    PS: Is it where I think it is???
    PS: Again: And after further review.....................never mind :>)
    Last edited by Marco; 03-11-2014 at 01:20 AM.

I was there in June of last year, on my drive back to Virginia from California.

It's basically a 13,000' mountain in the middle of the Nevada desert, not far from the Utah border. I didn't stay in the park, but at a private campground across the road from the entrance. There were vacancies in mid-June (mid-week), so I don't know when it is crowded, if ever. I didn't do any fishing, but there are a couple of streams that run down the mountain, and I'm sure they are beautiful, but unsure of the fish population density. My guess is they would be native Cutthroat, but stocking has happened almost everywhere at some point, so who knows? There are no large rivers, and no reservoirs to my knowledge, just two or three perennial streams in the vegetation zone below the upper tree line and above the lower tree line. Once the streams reach the sage brush at the lower elevations, they evaporate to nothing, except possibly during runoff season.

My kids really enjoyed the caverns, and I got a picture of my car at the 10,000' elevation sign, near the end of the road below the summit. I have pictures of my car in at least a half-dozen states from that trip.

Wheeler Peak.jpg
    10000 feet.jpg
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

+ Reply to Thread