+ Reply to Thread

Thread: REMEMBER WHEN - Neil - Mar 10, 2014

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default REMEMBER WHEN - Neil - Mar 10, 2014

REMEMBER WHEN
    A lone robin hoping around the patches of snow that still covered my lawn reminded me that nearly one year had passed since my father died. A flood of emotion swept over me as I remembered our last outing just months before he died.
    My dad and I had always been very close. I was the middle child of a family of five, the only boy and perhaps that is why my dad and I had such a close relationship. That is not to say that my father did not love my sisters and they were always included in every activity, but dad and I had that unspoken closeness that can only exist between a father and son. My earliest memories are of my dad putting me on his shoulders and carrying me across a stream while he was fishing.

2. Default

A very tender, beautiful, and touching article

Very emotional read. Touched a place I hadn't been to for a while.

When our youngest died at age 40 several years ago my wife and I were separated from him by a five and a half hour drive to another state. His roommate called to give us the sad news. He said that he'd already left for work and the caretaker we had hired during the day to care for our son was with him and had just started to fix him some breakfast. She came into his room and asked him if he was ready to eat.

He calmly spoke up and said,"They're coming for me now."

She asked who and he answered, "Don't you see them? I have to go with them now."

And with that our son passed from this part time world into a better place.

What a beautiful story, Brought a tear and will forward it to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    REMEMBER WHEN
    A lone robin hoping around the patches of snow that still covered my lawn reminded me that nearly one year had passed since my father died. A flood of emotion swept over me as I remembered our last outing just months before he died.
    My dad and I had always been very close. I was the middle child of a family of five, the only boy and perhaps that is why my dad and I had such a close relationship. That is not to say that my father did not love my sisters and they were always included in every activity, but dad and I had that unspoken closeness that can only exist between a father and son. My earliest memories are of my dad putting me on his shoulders and carrying me across a stream while he was fishing.

Thank you for sharing. That was beautiful. I learned to fly fish from my dad and haven't picked up a spinning rig since. I cherish those times and 20 years later and a few surgeries he and I are going back at it for 2014. I'm so happy we get this chance again. Sea Run Cutty's better beware

Marcus

I do not know what to say after reading that wonderful article. I lost my Dad to Alzheimers and your article brought back memories. Your article was just beautiful and sad at the same time. I am lost for words, but, I did enjoy it and know that it took a lot for you to write it. If it were me, I am not sure that I would have been able to write it. It was beautiful and I thank you for sharing.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread