+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripping old rod components?

Default Stripping old rod components?

OK, it's not a fly rod, but I'm going to try and strip an old "Ugly Stick" down just to practice wrapping and whatnot. I'd also like to just make it into a "Fly-O" when it's done, so it doesn't have to be fly fishing compatible. I broke the tip top off a few years ago, and I'd like to just play around with rod building for now and then decide If it's for me. Any suggestions on how to remove the original guides and grip?? Any help you may provide on this will be greatly appreciated!!

When you cut the guide wraps off, cut through very carefully over the foot and then peel the rest off. Be careful not to cut into the blank.

I use an exacto knife and carefully run the blade along the top of the guide foot,.

Hold the blade flat, perpendicular to the rod. Imagine you are trying to slice a thin sliver of thread/wrap along the top of the foot. Once the threads are cut you can usually peel off the rest using finger nails. If I get a stubborn one I tease out a loose end of thread and unwind the rest of the wrap. Sometimes it helps to use a little heat from a hair dryer to soften the finish.

Be very careful not to nick the blank. Even the smallest nick can cause a stress concentration that will break the rod under load.

bwagner,

I have never built a rod and have thought about doing what you are thinking about doing to see what the end results will be and if it is successful, I will probably build one. A good friend of mine does build some beautiful rods and I asked him once how he remove the handle sections on rods that customer want re-done. He said he just sticks the handle part into a pot of hot water and that will soften the adhesive used and the handle will come off. I don't know if that will work for you or not.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you are going to "boil" off the reel seat on a rod, you might want to put it in a zip-lock bag first so you don't damage any wood.
    As for the grip, you might get it off the same way( most likely the rings will separate). Most people cut them off to replace one on a rod.

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 20 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

bwagner,

Thanks dudley for the info. See, bwagner, I told you there would be a better way to remove the handle/reel seat. Just needed a knowledgeable person to respond.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use a bic lighter to warm the wrap epoxy and use a single blade razor blade along the top of teh guide.

When you get down to where you want to scrape the last little bits of epoxy/thread off, use a plastic knife or the side of a plastic thread packer.

+ Reply to Thread