+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparadun Wing

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Because it was tied that way originally....and it catches a helluvalotta fish. Need there be another reason?
    Actually, there were two(2) original 'comparaduns' tied by Caucci/Nastasi. There was one that had both a 180* hairwing WITH a hackle collar, and one that ONLY had the 180* hairwing. The former appears in the C/N book, Fly Tyer's Color Guide (p 153+). As explained to me by Caucci, the pattern without the hackle (the latter one), was as good as the one with the hackle, insofar as floatation and fish catching, was more durable and easier/faster to tye. So they dropped the use of the hackled comparadun in personal use and in the flies sold in the shop.

Allan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    I never questioned the effectiveness of the pattern. It is outstanding. It's fun to tie and especially fun to fish because it is so good. I tie and fish them with both the deer hair wing and, in the smaller sizes, a CDC wing. I'm going to try Davie McPhail's pattern with both materials in the wing. I was just curious as to a part of the fly that didn't seem to add anything to it, but the suggestions of visibility and ease of tying answer my question. Thanks!

Joe

Joe,
    Don't forget the semblance of a wing. Picture a comparadun style fly with all the fawning in the middle part of the fawning clipped out....the fly would still float with the deer hair at the 180 degree position, but would no longer offer the impression of wings......

Could it be that the fully upright hackles might aid somewhat in assuring that the fly not land upside down?

Blog Entries

Sort of the angle the trout might see the fly. Both flies tied similarly. Although he would not see it as clearly and only when quite close, to me, at least, the first pic (with the interior deer hair clipped), appears more like a spinner than the second?

Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Nice ties, Byron. Like I said at first, it would seem more like a spinner (from above the water) but the hair wouldn't be spread out on the surface as wide as spinner wings. It just looks a lot more stable to me and less prone to be blown over on its nose.

Joe

Joe,

Could it have anything to do with preventing the fly from the helicopter effect and twisting light tippets?

Just a thought.

You guys have posted some nice ties in this thread.

Jeremy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    Nice ties, Byron. Like I said at first, it would seem more like a spinner (from above the water) but the hair wouldn't be spread out on the surface as wide as spinner wings. It just looks a lot more stable to me and less prone to be blown over on its nose.

Joe
    Joe, I have fished the comparadun style flies for years, and, for mayflies it is my go-to pattern. I have never had a stability problem. Remember, this style lays pretty flush in/on the surface. They are very stable.

+ Reply to Thread