+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Fly Company Thread thread

Hybrid View

Default Montana Fly Company Thread thread

Just wanted to give a completely subjective, unscientific nod to MFC thread, in particular their 8/0 stuff. I've been tying a few smaller foam/deer hair flies recently where I needed something relatively strong but didn't build up too much. Neither Uni 8/0, UTC 70 or Danville 6/0 worked particularly well - Uni often cut the foam and popped when I tried to lean on it while flairing the deer; UTC, being "flossy", was better with the foam, but often separated under pressure (spinning the bobbin/thread and using softer ungulate hair like caribou helped some); Danville, which I love for other applications, was the weakest of them all (my stock is pretty old, so that may have been a factor).

The MFC gave me what I was looking for with a minimum of wraps (and minimum cash output, too!); may have to try it on some smaller Goddard Caddis to see how it handles that. The only problem I've found with the thread is availability - poking around in a number of flyshops in it's home state only turned up a few spools and not too many on-line vendors carry it either. If you can get your hands on some, give it a try; the 6/0 is very nice, too, and surprisingly fine.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Just wanted to give a completely subjective, unscientific nod to MFC thread, in particular their 8/0 stuff. I've been tying a few smaller foam/deer hair flies recently where I needed something relatively strong but didn't build up too much. Neither Uni 8/0, UTC 70 or Danville 6/0 worked particularly well - Uni often cut the foam and popped when I tried to lean on it while flairing the deer; UTC, being "flossy", was better with the foam, but often separated under pressure (spinning the bobbin/thread and using softer ungulate hair like caribou helped some); Danville, which I love for other applications, was the weakest of them all (my stock is pretty old, so that may have been a factor).

The MFC gave me what I was looking for with a minimum of wraps (and minimum cash output, too!); may have to try it on some smaller Goddard Caddis to see how it handles that. The only problem I've found with the thread is availability - poking around in a number of flyshops in it's home state only turned up a few spools and not too many on-line vendors carry it either. If you can get your hands on some, give it a try; the 6/0 is very nice, too, and surprisingly fine.

Regards,
    Scott
    Couldn't agree more. I have really been liking how it lays down on a hook. I got a bunch of colors in 8/0, 6/0, and 3/0. The colors are great as well because they seem to be much more vibrant than other manufacturers. I was able to find a whole bunch of it at Scheels in Salt Lake City, UT, but that might only be a regional thing for our store.

Another in total agreement, lays flat, and very strong for its size. I was beginning to have breakage issues with compara dun wings with 8/0 Uni. Switched to MFC and very satisfied.

Gene
    Last edited by Gene; 03-06-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Sounds like I may have to give it a shot.... always looking for the best at the best price. Thanks guys.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Can you split it for split single thread dubbing loop?

Agreed, good thread but I do not find it any better than Danville myself. You might want to try Veevus as well, which makes some decent smaller threads. Have tried them all but still return to Danville for 90% of my tying.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Can you split it for split single thread dubbing loop?
    Yep; works great.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Agreed, good thread but I do not find it any better than Danville myself. You might want to try Veevus as well, which makes some decent smaller threads. Have tried them all but still return to Danville for 90% of my tying.
    I do love the Danville but it just wasn't up to the particular task I had in mind. Veevus is another I'll have to look at.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Veevus 12/0 is the absolute first choice when I tie everything, including especially the full-dress stuff. It is not a small 12/0, so do not let the number scare you. It is simply the best thread I have found for general tying. It can be laid flat or rolled and splits easily for dubbing.

I use white for almost everything and keep markers on the bench to create any color desired for the head.

I second the quality of Veevus. Excellent thread in an array of sizes and available at most online shops now, too. I've wanted to try the MFC thread but have had the same problem of finding it.

Joe

Blog Entries

Joe,
    I currently use Veevus. However, Bucky ay Blue Ribbon Flies got me into the Montana thread 5-6 years ago. He is big on it and ties 900 dozen fles a year for BRF!
    They definitely carry it.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-06-2014 at 07:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread