+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooks for Pike flies

Default Hooks for Pike flies

This summer a friend and I will be heading to Northern Minnesota to chase some Northern Pike with a fly rod. I'd like to tie up some pike flies. While I tie a fair number of trout flies, I don't get too caught up in the "what hook is best" debate. I tie my flies on whatever dry fly and/or nymph hooks I have on hand. I figure I'm going to lose most in a tree before the actual hook type makes much difference.

Anyway, what types of hooks would any of you recommend for pike flies? From the little research I've done it seems heavy wire is important and, to a point, hook gap is probably more important than shank length.

So, what say you? Any advice? Thanks.

Royce

Check out the Partridge Universal Predator - X. very well built hook.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Stout hooks are important for such large fish..and a wide hook gap is extremely important.
    Here's some hook ideas to get you started (in sizes 1/0-3/0):
    -TMC 600SP
    -TMC 811S
    -Umpqua U502
    -Allen SW001
    -Allen SW002
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H

I disagree that any heavy wire hooks are required at all for pike flies. I have never had a pike bend any quality hook. Good "standard" wire hooks such as Mustad C52SBLN or Gama B10S are completely sufficient. The stretch inherent in fly line and your leader, as well the cushion of your rod do not generally allow you to "horse" a fish or put as much hard pressure on them as the guys with casting tackle and very heavy nylon or braid. Add to that, heavy wire is more difficult to set into the bony toothy mouth of a pike. You don't need heavy wire hooks.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    I disagree that any heavy wire hooks are required at all for pike flies. I have never had a pike bend any quality hook. Good "standard" wire hooks such as Mustad C52SBLN or Gama B10S are completely sufficient. The stretch inherent in fly line and your leader, as well the cushion of your rod do not generally allow you to "horse" a fish or put as much hard pressure on them as the guys with casting tackle and very heavy nylon or braid. Add to that, heavy wire is more difficult to set into the bony toothy mouth of a pike. You don't need heavy wire hooks.
    I agree completely... except that Gami B10S is about as good as hooks get, IMO&E.

Stay away from anything short shank as getting them out can be difficult there amongst the white pointy stuff.

We have not used wire leaders in many years and see little need for them... a short tippet of heavy Maxima with a good loop knot will give you plenty of action on the fly and just check it regularly for wear. A common day for us here is well over 100 pike and we seldom lose flies due to teeth. Longer shank hooks will stay out past the teeth better in most cases, too.

Locally, ADF&G started a new program a year or so ago to Catch, Chop Up, and Release pike. All fish caught must be killed, whether kept or not...
    art

When we fished for pike using spin rods and baitcasters and lures we never used any special leaders and seldom lost and pike to bite offs. When we started using flies we thought we could do the same thing but found that about every third fish bit us off. We found as 'hap' says that longer shanked hooks make a difference but not enough for us. We currently use heavy fluorocarbon (50lb or heavier) for pike and up to 80lb for muskie. The difference we found was the fact that the retrieve on the flies was slower than with lures and the pike had more opportunity to inhale the whole fly exposing the leader to their teeth. I like to use the single hooks that guys use on spoons for downrigging salmon. I tie the head of the fly on these then add a tail tied to a treble hook. The treble hook with material tied to it will give the fly some added action.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post

We have not used wire leaders in many years and see little need for them... a short tippet of heavy Maxima with a good loop knot will give you plenty of action on the fly and just check it regularly for wear. A common day for us here is well over 100 pike and we seldom lose flies due to teeth.
    art
    Art, I have heard that about not needing leaders. From my past experiences using spinning gear and 8 or 10 lb test Fireline, for example, pike will slice right through that before you can finish your hookset!
    I'd like to try your suggestion. What pound test of the Maxima do you recommend?
    (edit: I was typing this while Tig was also responding).
    Last edited by FishnDave; 03-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Royce,

I do lots of pike and muskie fishing. Use the TMC600sP's or anything that says "Gamakatsu" on it. *G* The points don't fold on ya.

Steer clear of my old standby the TMC8089 light wire bass hooks. Lessons learned, see above!!

Jeremy.

Blog Entries

I use either 40 or 50# Maxima and over the course of a day usually only cut a bit off a couple times a day... That means at least a couple dozen fish between leader adjustments. Two things to realize, too; pike are chasers and tail biters so articulated stuff with "Fenwick Iron Thread" for articulations is a good idea, and tube flies solve a lot of problems.

We use a lot of bunny leeches... they are tough enough to handle a ton of fish... Use plenty of CA glue on them and they will go until you lose them...

+ Reply to Thread