Greetings everyone,

My name is Mike and I just became a member here on FAOL. I have been fishing for over 35 years (fresh and salt water) and am essentially an addict when it comes to fishing. One aspect of fishing that I have never been exposed to is Fly Fishing. I always thought it was something that was too hard or complex to learn so I stuck to what I knew how to do.

Health issues forced me to stop fishing a few years ago (also corresponded with my retirement) and I have been through the gamut of doctors over the years. Fortunately for me, I have some very compassionate doctors! One of them mentioned to me a program that I was not aware of, Project Healing Waters. I was told that it is a program for Veterans that teaches folks how to fly fish! This was something I was very interested in but thought that I could not actually do it.

I made a phone call three months ago and I was so happy to talk to the people in the program. They have literally changed my life for the better since that call! I am now in the process of building my own 9' 5wt fly rod! It takes a lot of patience and attention to detail but I have found that when I am wrapping guides and attempting to put some creativity into my rod, I am essentially pain free while doing this! It is very therapeutic for me.

I am learning tons each day and am very excited about actually building my very own rod and then learning how to fly fish with it! My next step will be learning the art of Fly Tying soon!

As with anything in life, this will take time and a lot of practice.

Thanks for letting me become a member here in this community! I have been reading TONS here and am picking up things as I go along.

Best wishes,

Mike