+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Need some help getting started

Default I Need some help getting started

I am really looking into building my own rod. I have looked on Hook and Hackles website, and am wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to buy a kit, or should I put together something myself? I also seen that there is a 40% discount on their IM6 models of rods, are these good to start me out? I would really like to get the cheapest I can, as this will be my first rod, and then slowly move up.. Any suggestions? Thank you
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

Flytyer, Im in the middle of building my IM6 from Hook and Hackle. Its my first, so went with the kit. To me that is the best way to go. Its a 2wt and now that its in my hands I can shop around and dream up the next rod which I will piece together. Be warned, once you start you wont quit.

Flytyer317;
    My first rod was an IM6 9' 3 wt. 2 pc. from H&H. I'm now on number 6 a 7 1/2' 4 wgt. and still using the glues from the first kit!
    All my subsequent rods were/are 4 pc. as I found the 2 pc a little awkward in the confines of my hobby room. As here are no guides on the butt sections of 4 pc. rods (just the hook keeper) I think they build faster. Once you get the grip and reel seat assembled you can start wrapping guides.
    Good lighting is a must. I have a 4' shop light over the bench.
    As you've no doubt read in several post mixing the epoxies is critical. The little eye droppers that come with the kit work well but seem to give out after a couple of rods. I found droppers, 2 for a buck, at the local Dollar store.
    Right now print Al Campbell's rod building instructions and read them closly.
    If you need help just holler!

Wow Jack,

How did the gift rods go over at christmas.?

If you mentioned this elsewhere I missed it...

The advice and the "Give a holler" stand's pretty much from any one of us here...Just pop on back any time and someone will certianly give you the help you need...If the replies not quick enough (Epoxy sets up without warning) We understand try our emails...Jack's always around ..if you try mine you'd do better useing BillzTyme010@aol.com as I don't often use or check the one listed in my profile.. Good luck and Happy Building!

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 21 January 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I agree with Clyde. Get a kit for the first one anyway. Thay wa y you can get familiar with the componenty, and the assembly process. What you may want to do is to decide what you want to build in the future and start looking at individual components on all of the various sites that are sponsers here. Quite frankly, there are other vendors out there, but everything that you need from the most simple parts like guides to the most elegant parts like Jewelry grade hardware can be found in the sponsors of FAOL. I think what you will find is that you are the one in control of what you want to accomplish with each rod that you build, and that is a lot of the fun of it. I love rod building, and what I like almost as much, is making my own tools that I use to build them.

Have fun, and Bill hit it right on the nose...help is only a "holler" a way, that's the beauty in FAOL.

Thanks to everyone, I believe I will get the H&H IM6 7'6'' 5wt kit.
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

+ Reply to Thread