+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matched line weights

Hybrid View

Question Matched line weights

What would be the most noticed change if I were to use a line weight that was one number lighter than specified?
    Thanks.

The rod will not load as well and you probably will not be able to cast quite as far, but you'll still be ale to fish the outfit okay.

Jim Smith

You might find that the thinner line works better under windy conditions as it will be slightly less air resistant. You will still be able to load the rod but it will take more line out of the end to have the weight of line the manufacturer intended to load the rod. To be truthful you might not notice much difference with most graphite rods. It may be a little harder to feel the rod loading which seems to be one of the main reasons people give for going the other way and overlining a rod. Try borrowing a lighter line and trying it on your rod to see how you feel about it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

If you have to get into the running line to properly load it will make casting harder.

The most noticed changes will be the rod will feel a little bit crisper and more responsive with the same amount of line out the tip versus the heavier weight line. The rod will load fine you just need more line out the tip to get it to load the same way as a heavier line would load it.
    Your hooks sharp????

Cast the rod with 30ft of line out. With typical WF lines you will be in the middle of the belly of the taper Then cast it with 25 ft of the same line out. That will give you a rough idea.

I saw a post from Bruce Richards of Scientific Anglers once where he wrote that for typical WF lines the weight of 5ft of,the belly section was about equal to a 1 weight difference.

Line weight is rating is just a measure of the mass of a line. In the above example you reduce the mass of line being cast by about 1 line weight. If the cast was done with 35ft it's roughly like going up size.

Typically if you go down a line size the rod may feel like it has a bit faster action. The action really hasn't changed. You are just casting a lighter mass of flyline so the rod does not load (bend) as much so it unloads (unbends) in less time. Also at short distances it may be even more difficult to load the rod for a cast. Some people who are casting long distances may use lighter lines to make it easier to carry long lengths of line in the air while false casting prior to a presentation cast.

Ray, what has been posted is correct in theory.

Like a battle plan, theory is seldom what happens in reality.

You may notice absolutely no difference. I've found that one line weight either way has zero effect on my perception of casting/fishing a line. I simply can't tell the difference. But I don't measure how much line is out the tip, I just cast what feels right to me.

The rod may cast easier or require more effort. No way to know for sure until you try it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I've found that using the prescribed line for the rod usually works best for most applications. Going one size lighter works for going lighter, smaller flies, with especially shorter distances. Going a size up works for the heavier weight fly - plus does better for those WINDY days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Ray, what has been posted is correct in theory.

Like a battle plan, theory is seldom what happens in reality.

You may notice absolutely no difference. I've found that one line weight either way has zero effect on my perception of casting/fishing a line. I simply can't tell the difference. But I don't measure how much line is out the tip, I just cast what feels right to me.

The rod may cast easier or require more effort. No way to know for sure until you try it.

Buddy
    Buddy
    Women also have called me insensitive to their needs, weights, and worries...
    art

I find huge differences in the abilities of various rod and line combinations and adding a single weight difference is often huge in performance measures.

Many companies build lines one weight heavy just to make casting easier for newbies... It does not make casting better, longer, or more accurate.

tailingloop hit it on the head... especially last paragraph!!

+ Reply to Thread