+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwater flyrod

Default Saltwater flyrod

I am thinking I might want to invest in a flyrod for the salt. I was in Cuba a couple of years ago and while the trip was not a fishing trip (I actually went there to get married), I did manage to fish a little bit. Last month I was in Jamaica, and also managed to get out and chuck a fly a few mornings. Both trips I did catch fish, (nothing big, but still I felt tension on the line) so I was pretty happy, no bones but some fish I had never seen before (lizard fish, stinging grouper and other species, all about 12" long). The rod I have used for the salt is an Orvis frequent flyer 7 pc. 8 wt, 9 ft, with a bonefish line and some flies I put together for each trip. Maybe I am way off, but I am not sure if my frequent flyer could handle a tough fighting fish like a bonefish, so if that is the case I have been thinking of investing in another "better" rod. I bought the frequent flyer as it was a deal I could not pass up. If anyone is familiar with the frequent flyer Orvis rod and has caught bones with it, I'd like to hear about. If I were to start looking for a different rod, what would you suggest?. Keep in mind I would probably use the rod a couple of times every few years so what I will be looking for is an older used good quality rod, affordable being the key word here. Please note I am not asking for what you have available, I am simply asking for guidance. What would you suggest?

will any, let's say Sage model 8 wt be a good rod for the salt or is there some specific features I should be looking for in a salt water flyrod?

The most important things for saltwater rods is corrosion resistant components and that you like casting the rod. Almost all 7wt and heavier rods available today are so equipped. Even so you still need to clean your gear. I work part time in a fly shop and every 8wt rod we have for $100 and over is fine for bonefish and many other saltwater species.

Your Orvis Frequent Flier rod is fine for bonefish - as long as you like it. The rod will handle 20lb stripers so a bonefish won't be a big deal. The one thing you need to ensure is that all the sections are tight - loose sections can lead to a broken rod.

Now it's always a good idea to have a backup rod when traveling. You can get some very good new rods these days for about $250 or less and even less than $200. Temple Fork Outfitters, Echo, Redington, St Croix, Orvis, and Greys have some pretty good 4pc rods. More expensive rods may have better components and finish, and may have some performance advantages if you have the skills to get get the most out of the rod, but they won't catch you more fish.

If you want to find a mid to high end used rod you might want to search online for shops with upgrade programs. Some shops will take good condition used gear in exchange for credit towards new gear. Some of these shops have eBay stores separate from their normal online stores. Used rods sold through these programs tend to go for 30%-70% of new retail prices.

Your 8wt rod will easilly handle a bonefish. For the amount of fishing in salt that you do..keep you rod, it's fine.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I'd keep the rod you have and look for a back up rod, something like the Redington Predator would be good, very affordable and a really nice rod to cast.
    All the best.
    Mike

you can go to tradenstuff.com
    new and used fly rods and reels

I use a TFO TiCrx 8 for salt and bass. It's a good stick. Tough as nails. A bit heavy, but it will stop a truck. I've pulled 5 lb bass out of the sticks, and put the brakes on bones up to 12 with it. Nice rod at a reasonable price.

I bought two (2) 9' Scientific Anglers 8/9wt fly rods that were on a close-out sale. One I have used (and will continue to do so), the other still has the plastic covering on the cork, never used - You send me $25.00 and the cost of shipping same to you and you'll have your inexpensive, very functional, fly rod for saltwater use. You can sort out what you want for a reel, can't help you there.

Not only has the rod worked well for red drum, but also was put to use in Alaska for Dolly Varden and silver salmon.

I tried this one on #8wt...amazing! And the price for that quality (light and powerful) incredible.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105573780

+ Reply to Thread