+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pig Sticker

Hybrid View

I used to tie these a lot, then there was a lot of talk about how those hooks might penetrate the brain or eye - anyone hear if there was a study or something about that?

I am knocking on wood as I type. In the 40 years I have been fly fishing, I have never had the misfortune of braining a fish with a fly. I have never even had a fish take a fly in the gills. On a couple of occasions the fish have taken a fly to the back of the tongue. In which case I cut the fly off at the knot.

I have not heard of a study on the matter, but it would not surprise me if one existed.

Similar pattern that has accounted for a number of trout for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2M1...ature=youtu.be

Braining: I've caught atleast 3K Trout, 4K Bass and numerous other fishes over the years. I have "brained" 2 bass on 2/0 and 4/0 EWG plastic worm hooks tied into big shad patterns. I've gilled 4 Bass and a Striper bad enough that I believed they wouldn't survive, and 2 of those Bass proved me wrong after putting them in a fish cage overnight. I've gilled 3 Trout on tandem hooked streamers bad enouh to kill them. Since I have gone to keeping the front hook and cutting off the tail hook on big nasty streamers, I haven't had any fatalities and I generally hook fish in the corner of the mouth from the inside.

Well, I think I'll just go back to tying these, then.

+ Reply to Thread