+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pig Sticker

Default Pig Sticker

Found this pattern online, thought I would give it a try. Gonna make a few up and test it out this Sunday.

P
    ig Sticker

#14 Kahle Hook
    Underbody: .20 Lead Wire
    Body: Dark Brown 8/0 Uni-Thread
    Midpoint: Fire Orange 8/0 Uni-Thread

Then coat the fly in Sally Hansen's to make a shiny body.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

That'll work Joe. May have problems getting it down with the Duck at 300 cfs. but the blue gills, shellcrackers and rockbass will love it.

I use them in high murky/muddy water. They come in to play during Spring Runoff. I only tie them in size 6. You do better work than I do. Good job.

Last edited by DUB; 03-01-2014 at 01:53 AM.

DUB,

Thank you, but you do a really good job. I didn't know you could tie those on such a large hook. That gives me some ideas for summer fishing on lakes and ponds.
    The measurements of fly fishing: 1 part man, 1 part fish, and all God.

Big Pig Stickers and Wire Worms are great tailwater flies, especially during periods of high flows and when runoff from tribs flushes more crawlers into the system.

Regards,
    Scott

They all are very nice flies. Can you show me how to tie them, Liljoe? If you are going to have some of these tied up Sunday, we will be able to see how they fish.

WayneC

I used to tie these a lot, then there was a lot of talk about how those hooks might penetrate the brain or eye - anyone hear if there was a study or something about that?

I am knocking on wood as I type. In the 40 years I have been fly fishing, I have never had the misfortune of braining a fish with a fly. I have never even had a fish take a fly in the gills. On a couple of occasions the fish have taken a fly to the back of the tongue. In which case I cut the fly off at the knot.

I have not heard of a study on the matter, but it would not surprise me if one existed.

Similar pattern that has accounted for a number of trout for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2M1...ature=youtu.be

Braining: I've caught atleast 3K Trout, 4K Bass and numerous other fishes over the years. I have "brained" 2 bass on 2/0 and 4/0 EWG plastic worm hooks tied into big shad patterns. I've gilled 4 Bass and a Striper bad enough that I believed they wouldn't survive, and 2 of those Bass proved me wrong after putting them in a fish cage overnight. I've gilled 3 Trout on tandem hooked streamers bad enouh to kill them. Since I have gone to keeping the front hook and cutting off the tail hook on big nasty streamers, I haven't had any fatalities and I generally hook fish in the corner of the mouth from the inside.

+ Reply to Thread