+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update me

Question Update me

While I've been fishing for decades and have progressed from bamboo to glass and now to graphite the main thing I notice is the increase in stiffness (modulus) that allow me to put more power into a cast.
    Being a cheapskate and minimalist my graphite rods are the lower cost varieties. I have never used a "premium brand name" rod. Regardless, I frequently read comments in the forums that you haven't really lived until you buy one of these so-called "good" rods. Can someone explain to me what benefit I would get from a $400 rod versus the $100-$150 brands (Cabela's, Scientific Anglers, Pfleuger) thatI have?
    The same sort of question also applies to reels. To me they merely store line. I can't recall any situation where I ever had to play a fish "on-the-reel". So what's with the emphasis on drag systems?
    Maybe I just don't fish where the big fish live. Thanks for enlightening me.

I'm with you Ray. I'm a budget kind of guy, and the only rods I have that are pricey were gifts. I find myself migrating back to fiberglass. But even that has become too expensive. My 3 favorite reels are 2 Orvis Battenkill Disc reels that each cost less than $100. I don't use the drag system at all anymore, but I do have it set just in case. My other favorite reel is a Pflueger Medalist 1494. I traded some flies and a fly box for it. It works great and I don't mind the click at all. I have to admit that I do sometimes drool when I see a McFarland or Steffen Brothers glass rod.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

$400 will buy you a middle-of-the-pack rod these days; think $800 for the "good stuff". The great thing about being a mediocre caster is I don't notice the difference between high-end and what I have (older Sages and inexpensive blanks I've built). As far as reels go, if you're not fishing for saltwater burners (like false albacore) or tailwater pigs, you probably don't need to invest much, although if you do hook a nice one and your drag hitches you'll beat yourself senseless.

Regards,
    Scott

Al Campbell wrote a column that somewhat addresses this issue. The article is written from the prospective of why he, as a fly shop employee, might steer someone AWAY from a "higher end" rod. The article does give some good insight into the differences between high end and more moderately priced rods.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac011402.php

That all being said, I, personally, am firmly in the "moderately" priced camp. I simply don't spend enough days on the water to justify high end prices.

progressed from bamboo to glass and now to graphite
    This puzzles me somewhat as I seem to have regressed....and ended up with cane.

Blog Entries

Ray,

Let's assume that GM makes some really good cars. Call one a Chev, another a Buick and another a Cadillac. You can drive all three, so why would a person buy a Caddy if a Chev our Buick would do the same thing? Because we are human and because we live in a free enterprise system. There are differences between those three cars or otherwise there would only be one car. So, it is a matter of personal choice and what you can afford or are willing to spend.

For me, I will take the Caddy or in this case, I fly fish with Sage rods. Because I like them and I can buy them. So, why not?

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have to agree with Lotech, but maybe I'm uninformed, having never cast a $700 dollar plus rod. Every year rod makers bombard us with lighter, faster, more snsitive, etc. How much of this is hype? Has anyone done a blind test with any of these rods? How much farther can an average caster reach with with one of these wonder rods and how much will it improve his enjoyment of fishing.
    I would like some opinions. Mine is "not much" Spend that extra money on learning to cast and learnng to get a drag free drift will, in my humble opinion, give you a much better return on your money.

I meant to add some of what Sagefisher said to my previous response.

Even though I use less than high end equipment myself, I agree with sagefisher completely. I have a fishing partner who fishes nothing but Sage. He likes them, can afford them and he thinks they are worth the price and for that matter HE is worth it. I flail around on the same water with my modest equipment and we both have a blast. I will say that he is a much better caster than I am. In this case, I don't think he is a better caster than I because he has an $800 rod and I have a $150 rod. I think he is better because he spends 5X as many days on the water than I do.

Buy what you like, what you can afford and what brings you pleasure. Life's too short to worry about it.

I'm a budget kind of guy and a pretty average caster. A year of so ago I was lucky enough to win a Helios 2 rod. From the first cast that rod absolutely makes me look a lot better than I am. It doesn't really make me a better fly fisherman, and it doesn't mean I can't have just as much fun with any of my "cheap" rods, but it is a spectacular tool.

Spend what you're comfortable with and enjoy the fishing!

Cliff

I am not a great fly caster and have fished with the bottom end of the rack for most of my life. A couple of years ago when I lost the two rods I used the most, one was a TFO 3 wt., the other a BPS Dogwood Canyon rod, Kevin Proctor gave me a rod he had and customized it for me. It is one of my most treasured possessions first because of Kevin's generosity and second because it is the best casting rod I have ever held. I can cast further, easier than any rod I had ever picked previous to it. As for drag on reels, I have caught some 5.5 - 8 lb. LMB, grass carps & catfish on fly rods, a decent drag has made the difference in landing or breaking off fish that size frequently. The reels doesn't have to cost a fortune to have a decent drag for most of us.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread