Quote Originally Posted by MikeCO View Post
... but the $200 rod (as an example) felt better FOR ME! Am I missing out? Not sure. However I ended up picking up an Orvis 3wt that simply "felt" good in my hands. I don't cast well as I am new to this but the folks at the local shop did not steer me to something I might not notice in an $800 rod setup.
Generally speaking, more costly rods are lighter and faster. Lighter it good. However a novice caster has yet to develop the timing, appropriate application of power, and sensitivity to drive a Ferrari. A Chevy rod is better for novices. The slightly heavier weight it not noticed, and the slower rod bends regardless of technique, timing, inadvertent twitches, and casts the line. Later you might outgrow it and spend more if you can feel the difference and your first rod is tiring or 'underpreforming'. It is the same with golf clubs, tennis rackets and skiis. At the beginning you don't want something that twitches when you twitch and requires your tool to be your second skin 'cause you are not that comfortable in it yet.