Thread: Update me

Threaded View

I own several rods - and have also moved several rods along to others. I belong to a casting club and can try any of the other member's rods. I think there are two distinctions between less expensive and more expensive rods - not counting better cork or better quality hardware.

Some rods just feel lighter and are lighter. Any rod that feels tip heavy (or just plain heavy) is out. I don?t fish a 7wt Ovis cane for that reason.

Some rods track straighter on the cast and have less tip bounce after the hard stop (tip bounce can be really tiring and make your elbow sore). I know there is the technical term 'damping/dampening', but my term is boingy, any rod that feels 'boingy' is out.

Many times the less expensive rods don't pass the test, yet not all expensive rods do either (the Fenwick Iron Feather failed). If you FEEL comfortable with your rod -good. If (because it is a tool in your hand/arm) it does not FEEL good, then it is likely a rod that will feel right is more expensive.
    Last edited by Greg H; 03-01-2014 at 02:55 AM.