One theme that comes out of this is many people who use sub-$300 rods feel they don't cast good enough to own a high end rod. If they would take a step up to the $300 plus rods they would see a differnece. I guide an can not count the number of times I have had clients show up with cheap rods and insist they fish them becuase they are "comfortable", most times by the end of the day I can talk them into it, then the light comes on that guy who was struggling to cast the crappy pfluger or boxed SI rod all of a sudden is throwing tight loops and 50+ feet casts. this does nto alway happen but it does more times than not. will it make you a better fisherman " no" , only allow you to actually cast to your potential. 8 0r 9 years ago if you asked if a high end +600 rod was worth it I may have sadi no unless you were a real good caster. But with the new blanks with boron , nano silica resins mixed with the high end graphite they are. I have found that the actual noticed "speed" of these rods is mor moderate that fast, do to the ability to make the upper section thinner and more flexible and have a stronger mid butt section to add the power. Some high end stuff is still like casting a pool cue but not all. these rods will only allow you to cast somewhat better there is no short cut or magic that will make you a better fly fisherman than time on the water. reel on the other hand are more in line with the car theme. do you need a high end reel probably not are they nice to have Oh ya baby.

steve