+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reel seat shim

Default reel seat shim

got my 66 H&H im6, this is a new venture, and my question is, shims for reel seat. I checked Al Campbells archives as well as other sources. I guess masking tape will work, Im just alittle nervous. Any ideas from the <family> ?

Clyde

Go with the masking tape. Never had a problem.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

The masking tape should work fine. Just make sure if you put a band of tape near the cork and a band near the butt of the blank, that you also add some epoxy to the blank in between (as well as to the inside of spacer). Otherwise when you slide the spacer into place the lower tape shim will push all of the epoxy out of the reel seat spacer and you'll get a dry void in the middle. Good luck!

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:47cea]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:47cea]

Clyde;
    The masking tape will do just fine.

If you have any of the drywall tape that looks like netting use it.

I use masking tape on the ends and 2" fiberglass mesh tape in between. You can get this mesh tape in 300 foot rolls for a few dollars at a building supply. It's used for drywall joint taping. Usually yellow in color but also comes in white and blue. It's in the same section as the paper tape. E-Z Grip is one brand. I once saw someone selling it for rod building in small amounts for a much higher price on eBay.

------------------
    Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 13 January 2006).]

I like using 1/2" wide masking tape with epoxy and epoxy filler. The masking tape is applied in strips with about 1 gap between wraps. I then mix up a generous batch of 2 ton epoxy mixed 50/50 with 'micro ballons' epoxy filler. I slide the reel seat/handle assembly on using liberal amounts of epoxy in the gaps. When the stuff sets up I am counting on the epoxy to make the mechanical connection, not the tape.

Micro ballons are tiny hollow glass spheres that come in a powder form about the texture of flour. The filler turns the epoxy into a thick paste for easier application and increases it's gap filling properties. The hollow spheres signifiacntly reduce the overall weight of the adhesive as well.

Epoxy filler is available at most hobby shops that sell R/C model airplane gear, or at places that sell fiberglass supplies.

Blog Entries

Great Idea, I have a box of it that I used for boat repairs(along with almost a gallon of epoxy resin). Won't drip all over the reel seat that way.

One thing that I was told to do was to cut a little channel in the masking tape after you get it wrapped.

I then use a small eye dropper to finish off the rest of the epoxy. I drop in down at the top fo the reel seat.

I also wrap tape around the reel see in case any epoxy gets on it. Easier to put on and take off than is the epoxy.

Rick

Tape will work but if it ever gets really wet it can swell and sop and the seat can turn or come loose. This is a common problem experience by folks who do much repair work.

Drywall tape is fiberglass and won't absorb water. Press epoxy like rodbond into the mesh and install the seat. That's the easiest and most secure method I've found.

+ Reply to Thread