+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLY FISHING'S FINAL FRONTIER - Book Review - Feb 24, 2014

Blog Entries

Default FLY FISHING'S FINAL FRONTIER - Book Review - Feb 24, 2014

FLY FISHING'S FINAL FRONTIER
    While much of the time expended by fly fishers is directed at the species of fish that are considered more glamorous; trout, steelhead, salmon, bonefish, and permit, there are many other fish that provide angling opportunities for fly rod anglers. This recent book by Geoff Bernardo highlights many of the lesser known targets that are available for fly fishers.

Please tell us more. At $65, this volume is a serious purchase. One suspects that the author covers such species as carp and buffalo/freshwater drum. But "alternate species" leaves a lot of unknowns. Even some info from the book's table of contents would be helpful to the reader of the review. Amazon is of no help because no purchaser has yet reviewed the book.

I agree with Paul. Sounds like a potentially VERY interesting book. I love catching all kinds of species on flies, so this could be right up my alley.
    Any chance you could list the species covered?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David -- I came up with this from the publisher's Web site. Their blurb of the book includes the following: "Geoff Bernardo?s book is the first of its kind; an enthusiastic and respectful look at fly-fishing techniques and fly patterns for the challenging fish some anglers scoff at - carp, pike, inconnu, stripers, bass, etc. "

Frankly, it neither sounds like what I expected nor what I hoped for. I was thinking more in terms of rough fish, such species as are covered in the excellent book Fishing for Buffalo, although that book includes fly fishing only incidentally.

I consider the publisher's representation that Fly Fishing the Final Frontier ​is "Coffee Table Quality" to be a warning that it may be full of pretty pictures but maybe not a very enlightening text; All hat and no cattle, in other words. But we should perhaps not pre-judge. Given the price, I may never know.

~Paul
    Last edited by Paul Arnold; 02-24-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo

Fishing for Buffalo was a pretty good book.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The book has chapters on fly fishing for white bass, white perch, stripers, perch, sauger, walleye, grass pickerel, musky, northern pike, crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, rock bass, longnosed gar, carp, fallfish, suckers, redhorse, whitefish, grayling, herring, inconnu, mooneye, goldeye, channel catfish, bullheads, shad, bowfins, freshwater drum, and lake sturgeon. It is a large book, but it is not merely a "coffee table" book. It has many excellent fly patterns, well illustrated and well written. It is expensive and that is one chief drawback of this book.

The Chronicler

I'm not sure who the anonymous LIvingston, MT, Chronicler is, but I'd like to thank him or her for that enlightening post. The book sounds much better than the publisher's Website presented it, at least for my tastes. Even though the Amazon price is somewhat cheaper, the cost is still a bit rich for my blood. Perhaps it will become available as an eBook. Thanks again, Chron. ~pfa

so, basically a book about what many of us have been doing our entire lives, and now it's called the "Final Frontier".... yawn, roll eyes...
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

That description helps immensely. Thanks!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread