+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE 20 INCHER - Whipfinish - Feb 24, 2014

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default THE 20 INCHER - Whipfinish - Feb 24, 2014

THE 20 INCHER
    Ever since I can remember growing up along the limestone streams of Central Pennsylvania, my world and what was important involved trout. From the brook trout streams in and around my home, to the storied waters near State College and Carlisle where authors fawned over their merits and made all of us wish to wet a line. In the beginning any fish was worthy.

After reading your story, I had to get up from my desk and walk into one of the guest bedrooms of our home and look again at the framed picture we keep there on the wall above the bed. The picture was taken by a professional photographer one June afternoon a number of years ago at the Allenberry Resort, looking across the Yellow Breeches.

My son and daughter in law had just been married nearby earlier that day, and had their wedding reception there. The picture shows them from the backside, she in her wedding dress and he in his tuxedo, seated on a wooden bench under the large Sycamore trees that line the stream's banks there. An old limestone stone retainer wall is in front of them that parallels the stream, and a fisherman in the background is wading and fishing near the far bank.

Unlike you, my son didn't release the one he caught there that day, but we both have pictures from the Yellow Breeches on our walls to bring back fond memories. Thanks for the story, and Congratulations on your 20" fish!

John

John, cherished memories I'm certain. I know the exact location you described. Glad you enjoyed the article.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread