+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone ever use....

Default Anyone ever use....

...a loupe for inspecting rod wraps or out on the stream? Any idea who sells them? Any FAOL sponsors?

I use a 12X for inspecting wraps all the time. Sometimes I loose count of turns. Edmunds Scientific is the place to get a high quality glass loupe. Not cheap though. Expect to pay $50 or so. Cheaper loups can be had, Agfa used to ( and maybe still does ) sell a 8X loupe w/ plastic lens fot $12 or so. Rotten optics, but servicable for infrequent use. If you live near a big city camera store this might be a good place to look, or you might check out Porters Camera on line. I think you can find magnifying glasses - much lower power than loupes - at Staples.
    AgMD

Ag,

Would Edmunds also be a good place to look for a micrometer?

gem

I am sure they would have one but take a look at Harbor Freight first....$19.99 for a digital that is pretty darn good.

View more Cen-Tech items
    0 TO 1'' RANGE DIGITAL MICROMETER

Accurate to .0001''. Clear graduations and digital scale. Hardened and ground spindle with carbide anvil ensure durability and accuracy. Anti-glare satin finish. Includes padded wooden storage case.

ITEM 895-2VGA

$19.99 Email link to a friend

There are two classes of micrometers out there. Inexpensive and not. Inexpensive, good to 0.00" , digital or the old fashoned read the lines, nearly any thing you want for $19.95 to $50. If all I wanted was to mic some leader material, some rod blanks for tip tops, etc. I think the inexpensive jobs would be just fine. Harbor freight, Grizzly, Sears -- just about everybody has them.
    On the other hand -- If I was going to do a bit of something more serious, machining - lathe work, mill work etc. I would be looking for a Srarrett or Mitutoyo, and depending on what I wanted ( digital or not, thousandths or ten thousandths) I would expect to pay $80 -- $140. I would also expect to pass it on to my children. McMaster-Carr is a good source. No give away bargains but usually a fair price.
    If you have the chance, check out an inexpensive and a quality instrument side by side. I think you will see and feel why the quality unit casts more.
    BTW my own micrometers are hand me down Starretts from my grandfather who was a tool and die cutter for Winchester. They are at least as old as me, and I figure they have a few more generations in them. My dial calipers are, one Mitutoyo and one $19.95 "I don't know it's name". They are both fine for what they are and both have their uses, but there is a world of difference between them.

AgMD

For the loupe, try [url=http://www.sciplus.com/:f4752]http://www.sciplus.com/[/url:f4752]
    Read the descriptions carefully. They have some good stuff, and some that is not so good, but they do describe things honestly

Thanks for the info on micrometers. Appreciate the info. I only need the less expensive one to measure leaders and tippets. I only use single foot guides for tip tops so I don't need to use a micrometer to measure the rod tips.

Again, thanks for the info.

Gem

+ Reply to Thread