+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using your own leaders

Caribe if you'd like I'll send you one of mine to try. I have six different leaders I make on my website, and have really enjoyed going a new the leg leader this year quite a bit. fIf your interested send me a pm.

Cheers Brandon

Brandon,
    I would be honored to try one of your leaders. How ironic. I started this thread with me complaining about giving away too many leaders and now I end up getting a leader from someone who also has the same "bad" habit of giving away leaders as well. PM sent.
    caribe

A little secret about a good furled leader is with a little care they last a good long time. John Scott sent me a thread leader about 4 years ago, now I picked out a knot or two and last year I did cut half a inch off the end and tied on a piece of mono. Jack Hise gave me a fluorocarbon last year, I put it on my 4 wt., which was not really rod enough for it, I have since moved it to a heavier rod. A fluorocarbon turns your line into a mini-sink tip. put me from never having seen a brookie to catch a few up in TN.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have leaders I first bought 8 years ago before I started making my own. However I can't count how many leaders I go through each year experimenting with different material mixture, material, and different taper. I have several differing combinations to match not only what fly I'm using but many during circumstances that may arise. I'm currently living my three strand leaders. The performance is amazing.

Right lines

Brandon

I'm actually going to furl my own fly line this year.

Brandon,
    I received your leaders today. I will try them out in my yard this week as soon as the icy snow is gone. Next week I will try them out on some trout. The 2 colors scheme with a 6 inch clear tippet end look amazing. My leaders look just plain ugly next to yours. I will let you know how they perform next week. Are these 3 stranded? By the way, your PM box is full.
    Caribe

No these ones are not the strands, only two. The two leaders you have are very different even though they look the same. Look forward to hearing from you.

Tight lines
    Brandon

Brandon,
    I was able to try out one of the leaders you sent me. I used the "Big Fly" 2-5wt leader on my 2 wt rod. Your leader definitely out preforms mine. I was mainly nymphing with tungsten bead heads so turning over the fly was crucial. Your leader may stay on my 2 wt. for the rest of the season. Your leader turns over the heavy flies much better than mine. You are right about the fireline. It does need more density to get a better turn over....especially at closer distances. I was hoping for a midge hatch to see how it throws the light stuff but the midges did not show up in the windy conditions. I will try the lighter leader when I have a chance for some dry fly fishing next month. Your "moonlit" leaders are quality stuff and you have a right to be proud of them. The only advantage my leader had was that it does float better, but your leader with a little floatant solves that problem. Thanks for making me re-evaluate my leaders. Now I have a new standard for comparison.
    caribe

+ Reply to Thread