+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using your own leaders

Hybrid View

Default Using your own leaders

With opening trout season right around the corner I decided to check my leader wallet make sure I had enough furled leaders to get me through the season. My leaders usually last a couple of seasons so I do not look in my leader wallet that often. Low and behold my supply was very low in most of the weights that I furl. So.....yesterday I dusted off the old jig and pulled out my old electric drill and replaced my stash of leaders. Then it dawned on me... where do all my leaders go? I did not us up 80% of my leaders last season so I guess I must have given away the majority of my leaders. I have a feeling that this is true for many furlers. Between my sons, nephews and other fishing buddies, I probably give away 80-90% of the leaders I furl. I have a feeling that this is true for most furlers. Do you give away more leaders then you use for yourself?
    caribe

Quote Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
    Do you give away more leaders then you use for yourself?
    caribe
    For sure. I always have a pocket full with me and I give one to anyone that asks about them.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Kind of like a Crack Dealer......the first one is free!!

It's good to know I am not the only one with this "addiction" problem. Unfortunately the line I use is expensive but I guess I need to learn to live with my "addiction".
    caribe

Caribe what material are you using that's so expensive? I've given away quite a few of mine as well.

Cheers
    Brandon

Brandon,
    I use Berkley FireLine Crystal for all my leaders. It typically sells for around $18 for 125 yards. The line has a thin diameter so the leader does not get overly "bulky". I have had thread leaders fail due to size of fish (king salmon and carp) and thread rot that ruined a weekend outing. I have furled mono, floro, uni, and polyester and I like the fireline the best. I have a feeling that there are not very many furlers out there that use fireline...... perhaps the expense is part of the reason. I spent $50 last week on more line and that's what got me thinking that giving away these leaders is starting to get expensive. Maybe I should furl some cheaper thread leaders and give those away instead.
    caribe

+ Reply to Thread