+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Built a frakenstein rod.

Default Built a frakenstein rod.

Per my earlier post I have been thinking about a new rod. So the other day I decided to do some tinkering. Took the top two sections and grip and second sections from my broken Amago and then the rest of the sections from a broken Iwana: built an "Imago". Seems to cast well useing one of my homemade level lines. (Berkely 100% fluro and red ammenia. Anyone else "roll their own"?

I've built a super light tenkara rod by gluing together the broken top sections of a rod I bought from allfishingbuy.com. It doesn't collapse and it does give me a micro fishing rod for the price of a little epoxy.

I got my hands on an cheap, old 2-piece 11 foot steelhead (somewhat 'noodle-ish'- light power/medium action) rod that I'm thinking of stripping down to the blank which I think is right a bit more than 2 oz. Then fixing a regular fly-rod handle on it with as small a reel seat as I can find and put some micro-guides on it. Everyone talks about trying to put a reel on a tenkara/keiryu rod - usually with the line down the center of the rod - my thinking is to create a long rod that can handle a 0000 size fly-line or whatever a Japanese-size #4/4.5 might translate to in grain weight. Balancing the rod with a simple 'click' fly reel on the order of less than 2.5 oz. might make it an easy caster perhaps even with longer lines. I've not referred to it as a Franken-tenkara rod though, but thought of it as more or less a Western-Tenkara (hybrid) Fly rod - or WTF for short.

+ Reply to Thread