+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Flt tying lights

Hybrid View

Default LED Fly tying lights

Any comments or experiences with the LED tying lights that are now on the market?

Worth the prices?

Accurate color?

Brightness?

ETC,
    Last edited by ducksterman; 02-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.

I've been tying for a good many years and finally settled on an LED setup that is worth it's weight in gold or anything else and definitely worth the price paid.

The lights give fairly accurate color renditions and I use them for most of my fly photography that goes in the magazines. I'm sold.

I own this one: https://www.intheriffle.com/store/Dual-LED-Pro-Fly-Tying-Light.html

Last edited by kglissmeyer; 02-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

My wife used to borrow my Ott light all the time for sewing and leave me with just my clamp-on incandescents, then she purchased an LED lamp and my Ott no longer gets "feet". Glad to have it back but I may have to reciprocate and take hers for a test tie.

Regards,
    Scott

aww man...I was hoping to hear about miniaturized lights I could tie on for low light dry fly fishing or for streamers....
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I had a fluorescent lamp that also got borrowed...and then broken.

This thread got me to start thinking about an LED lamp. I did some searching around. It seems that the lights built specifically for fly tying are pretty expensive.
    I saw some cheaper table LED lamps but either there are no specs for light output or the output seems low.

Many of the more inexpensive LED lamps I saw use a 3W LED. It seems that roughs out to a few hundred lumens. I use reading glasses when working close and I like more than enough light.

I may consider building my own LED lamp. LED's and DC power supplies are cheap nowadays. It should be easy enough and cheap enough to build a lamp that is much brighter than what's normally commercially available.

You might look on Ebay. I did a search under LED table lamps and found several thousand listed for sale, many of which were quite inexpensive. I just looked at a few of them and saw some that showed the number of lumens. I would think you'd want a warm versus a bright white light for fly tying, but I'm not sure of that.

I recently bought a 4' long LED light bar, with a remote control on off switch with a dimmer from an Ebay seller, to backlight a stained glass window, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Blog Entries

Wasatch Custom Angling sells a really nice LED lamp, I was thinking of buying two of them as I like lots of light from several directions.

http://flytyingtools.com/vises/vises...ying-lamp.html

In fact, right now their website shows a sale price of $10 off.

http://flytyingtools.com/vises.html?p=2

Larry ---sagefisher---

Those lights are basically identical to the ones ikea sells. I had considered one but they really dont give off enough
    quality light.

For 15 years I suffered with a lighted florescent magnifier lamp. Last month I finally retired it and bought an LED magnifier lamp and OMG why have I not done this earlier. Mine is an Office Depot house brand that has a long folding arm, a clamp base and is very bright. Best tying tool I've bought I a decade.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Coach Bob, which one did you buy?

+ Reply to Thread