+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Flt tying lights

For 15 years I suffered with a lighted florescent magnifier lamp. Last month I finally retired it and bought an LED magnifier lamp and OMG why have I not done this earlier. Mine is an Office Depot house brand that has a long folding arm, a clamp base and is very bright. Best tying tool I've bought I a decade.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Coach Bob, which one did you buy?

Thanks for the responses.
    I have done a little reading and conclude that the ideal would be...100CRI [color rendering index and 5000K [Kelvin/Temperature].
    5000K is closest to "Daylight"
    CRI 100 closest to accurate color spectrum
    Kelvin="Colour temperature is important in the fields of image projection and photography where a colour temperature of approximately 5600 K is required to match "daylight" film emulsions."

Some of the lights mentioned above don't approach these.
    I emailed Al Ritt of Peak and their lamp is CRI 75 and Kelvin 5000....their price is up there...$139.99....wonder if it is worth it???
    Last edited by ducksterman; 02-25-2014 at 10:51 PM.

How compact do you need it to be? I paid 5$ for my lamp and will probably be around 40$ for the bulb. I will check the hd website for the bulb specs. You dont need to spend huge money on the setup to get good results.

Led flood bulb at home depot. 5000k watt range 75 -120 equivalent 10-15 actual usage
    Cri rating 80. 25000 hour work life. Price range 25-45 $ depending on which you get.

Model LTS-360-01
    Magnifier Clamp Lap
    $70
    Last edited by CoachBob; 02-25-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Before I saw crashfromboston,s [now known as cfb] later posts ...I made the rounds this AM ...JoAnn's, Home Depot, Lowes,Walmart, Ace....ended up with an architect lamp from Walmart...more compact than one I saw at Home Depot...$15....saw a bulb similar to what cfb describes above...1000+ lumens...5000K ...?CRI...it was a large flood type $37...I ended up with a smaller 500 lumen...5000K...?CRT from Lowes...$22.

They are in place now and compared to the 18W Daylight type I was using the brightness is significantly better and my hands no longer look anemic and have a nice flesh tone.

Aside from the cost I don't think I would have been happy with the Peak @ 300 lumens. It does have a nice mounting system but so do I so it is not an issue.

Thanks for all the input. FAOL once again shines.

Duck,

If you get the chance, post a picture of your new lamp.

Thanks!
    Joe Bertolini

Mine is very compact, completely portable and CHEAP

Fits nicely in my travel kit.
    The lamp is $3.95 at Harbor Freight. It's held in place by a magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    Duck,

If you get the chance, post a picture of your new lamp.

Thanks!
    Not the greatest picture but I think you can get the idea ...if not let me know and I'll do another using flash....seems the LED was bright enough so the flash didn't come on.

+ Reply to Thread