+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to rod building

Hybrid View

Default new to rod building

I am a "newbee" to building your own fly rod. I am a disabled Vet and I am in the "Healing Water" program at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro Tennessee, which teaches us basics on how to tie fly's, how to cast a rod and they takes us on local fishing trips a few times a year. This Is my second year with them, I started February of last year. This year they are tell us old students, some one who has been In the program one year or more, that they will be building their own fly rod. We can only tell them the wt of the rod we would like to build. They will be getting all the parts we will need to make a fly rod and I have chosen to build a 3wt rod. For someone who has just learned which end of a fly rod you hold to fish with, THANK YOU WARREN, I am very nerves about the whole process. I have read a lot of info here at FAOL about building a rod, but a lot of the terms that are used when your describing your build have me lost, but I am learning. They, Healing Waters, will have us work on the rod twice a month for two hours per meeting day until we are finished. We are to start on the first meeting in March, but the finishing date I am not sure when that will be. How long does it take to build a fly rod? I would like to use this thread for people like me, to ask questions as I am building my rod, to help me along. I know that someone at the Healing Waters class will be helping us but I also know that all my questions may not get answered. So I am asking for help, if you will allow it, when I begin the class next month and have questions, if I can ask them on this thread?
    Last edited by newbee; 02-22-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Absolutely! Ask away.

I've been building rods for just a little over a year.
    I started here by posting that I'd like to take a try at rod building. With the generous help here, I was off an running.
    There's no looking back now. I'm hooked, so to speak.

You'll find a lot of help here. Everything seems pretty overwhelming at first, but it's really not very difficult.
    It doesn't take too long to build fly rod. But there is some waiting time between steps....waiting for glues or finish epoxy to dry.
    Once you learn how to do the thread wraps on a rod, take some time and practice. Practice on a length of dowel or an arrow shaft.

Lot's of help here on this board.

Newbee,

First off, thank you for your service. Here at the Ranch two of us older Vets live. Both have seen a lot of action. Char did 3 tours in the sand box. Myself, many years in 5th Special Forces Group on an " A " Team. We are both rod builders. I not only assembling rods, but also make my own Bamboo from scratch, including my own NS ferrules. I am sure you will not only enjoy making your own rod but be careful as it can become very addictive.
    As you progress, anytime you become frustrted or have a question or just want to talk about anything, phone me, day or night.
    509-999-7472 any time, day or night. Keep busy.

Denny

Ask away!! That's why we're here! As for how long it will take to build a fly rod ... you build till it's done! Sometimes you have to just walk away from the project for a "few minutes" to collect your thoughts. Sometimes you can sit and really get bunches done in short order. It's all good. The main thing is to remember to have fun. Ask. Then ask again, and again till you feel comfortable with the answer!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I like the statement......ask then ask again until you feel comfortable with the answer.....from Ms. Betty. I surly can do that. I also liked what bgreer said about practice on a dowel rod and get comfortable with wrapping a rod. Thank you Denny for you time in service and I will keep your number no more than an arms reach away. Thank you all for being there for me. I know I will not be alone thru this adventure.

WaynC

My heavens Wayne, first fly tying, now rod building! What's next! Reels! There are some good plans for dryer motor setups on line, as in the Fly Rod Building Archives, some good ones on ebay, a person taking our fly tying classes is a custom rod builder and heavens the information you will get here is AWESOME!
    Man, you're not sliding down the slippery slope you're luging!!!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread