+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to rod building

Ask away. we all want you to be successful in this venture. If you can even start to tie a fly you can build a rod. . yes, somedays you will be barreling thru the guide wrapping and the next it may be all thumbs. on those days take a break. relax and settle in. I find that when I have to wrap a lot of guides I actually need to wrap in front of the TV. back ground noise and I can look up at it between guides and take a short break.. and remember there is always someone her to help you out.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Thank you all for your kind word and your words of encouragement. With you guys having my back, there's no way I can stop moving forward.

Best wishes to all

Wayne

Bell Buckle TN, wow, I haven't been there in 40 years. Is the Webb School still open?

Anyway, one of the best resources for a beginner is the late Al Campbell's 12 part series on building a graphite rod. It covers everything in simple and easily understandable terms. I used to have a direct link to it but it doesn't work any more. Go to the FAOL home page. On the left side is a column of links. Go to Features, then Rod Building and there will be a link to Building a Graphite Rod. This link will take you to the first of 12 articles. At the bottom of this page are the links to the rest of the articles.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

dunfly

Yes Bell Buckle and Webb school are alive ad doing well. You can go to bell buckle web site and get the lowdown on all the activity going on here. When they have the craft fair the population of Bell Buckle turns into the thousands. I am also reading Al Campbell series on graphite rod building. I think once I get into the actuality of making the rod, some of my fears and nervousness will leave me.

WaynC

smij

I believe those words... "Nothing beats catching a fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied!!!" That is one reason I want to assemble this rod, fish with it and keep it forever.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.

WayneC

Well Healing Waters has sent me my 3rd notice that we will be starting to build our own fly rod this Wednesday. I am at the point of saying, I will believe it when I see it. LOL Things have been going wrong for the guys that have the job of getting everything ready for us Vets, I feel for them, they have a big job. I will be taking pictures and I will post them so every one can see what's up. I may ask question so I will have the answer before the next class. Wish me luck

WayneC

When ever it is you get started .... we'll be watching and waiting! It'll be so worth the wait! Was going to say something about, "you don't need luck for this project....you've got US!!", but figured that'd shake your confidence!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty

That statement... "you don't need luck for this project....you've got US!!", would not shake my confidence, it only relieves my mind from tension, knowing all of you are going to be there. Thanks

WayneC

+ Reply to Thread