+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Bend 290 (resurrected)

Default South Bend 290 (resurrected)

Every once in a while, I find an old bamboo rod that is solid but isn't worth a full restoration due to inavailability of parts etc, or it is just not financially worth the investment. This old SB 290 fit into that category so I just did a resurrection on it with a new reel seat, grip guides and a different color scheme. The ferrules were in excellent shape and just had to be refitted. I am always amazed by these little South Bend 290s, they cast as well as any 7 1/2' 5 wt around and this one made a sweet little every day fisher for me. Its just out of the drying cabinet after nearly a month of curing but it sure buffed out pretty nice. Heres a couple of pictures of it (if I can get them to work right)

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 11 January 2006).]

Just lovely - beautiful work Leo.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

AWESOME!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

Thanks for the pictures. You do good work!

Greg,
    You BET he does! Leo restored my South Bend 291 (7 1/2' 4pc)....if I EVER get a decent camera & learn to post pix, I'll do so.
    Leo..Thanks again buddy!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I really do appreciate all the kind words and compliments. I have to admit that after reading JC's post about his Monty, it made me stop and think about all of the things that this old rod had been through and the storys it could tell if it could talk. I have had proably 5 of these old South Bend 290s over the years and they all were neat little rods. Even thought the tapers were the same, each one casts differently and while it may not be really noticable, there are subtle differences. John Gierach, in his book "Fishing Bamboo" talks a little about that and points to the differences in the bamboo itself as the cause of that. To me, it is just the personality of the rod and the way it expresses itself to the user....

Wouldnt it be nice to hear some of the things these old rods could say to us if they could talk....

Really beautiful work.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:ee1ae]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:ee1ae]

That is gorgeous work. I like to combine some of the new with the old on my resurection projects too but have yet to have any finished as well as your work shown on this SB290. Have you used the "Sylk" lines yet on your bamboo- anny comments?
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thank you Quinn. I love working the bamboo almost as much as fishing it. I too like to combine the old and new. Modern technology dicatates that there are other methods and means to finish a wrap, but I like traditional methods just because...and thats about it. I have often wondered about Hiram Leonard, or Lyle Dickerson and what they would have used if they had the finishes of today. In their day, they were the cutting edge of technology in rod building.

I do use the Sylk lines. I like them and have had good success with them. I have a 4 and a 5 and use them both about the same amount of time. I don't fish them exclusively, as there are other lines I enjoy fishing as well, but usually, if I am fishing bamboo, I am fishing Sylk.

+ Reply to Thread