So my buddy was coming to town from the other side of the state for work and he had a couple hours to kill in the middle of the day. He's new to fly fishing so I take him to some user-friendly areas (no trees/bushes, easy currents, etc) to try and catch him his first trout on the fly. We get to the spot and I tell him the hole isn't very big and we'll just switch after a fish or two. Despite my attempts to refuse, he insists I go first. After I few casts I land a 10" brown. So now its his turn. I try to give him a few pointers on casting and where to cast, etc, etc. His second cast he catches his first fish on the fly, another ~10" brown. I tell him to keep casting and after another couple casts he hooks up with slightly larger brown! So today is already a great success, I've caught a fish, he's caught his first couple of fish. Awesome! We keep on fishing this hole but nothing more comes from it (my buddy's last fish caused quite a ruckus). We decide to try another spot. At this next spot, we can both cast simultaneously while within chatting distance of each other. I always catch fish in this hole, always. But today, the day when I bring my buddy to my fish guarantee spot, nothing. Not a hit, bump or strike. But then, this happened to me...

1779950_10152213805037427_739656823_n.jpg

22 inches! By far my largest catch in the Hills!

I was ecstatic! I felt a little bad for my friend not catching it but he seemed pretty excited just to see a fish of that caliber.

We tried a few more casts at that spot just to be thorough but ended up checking a few more spots before heading back to the original spot and catching a few more browns.

Between finally getting the chance to fish with my friend, him catching his first fish and me catching my best local fish yet, today was easily in my top 5 fishing experiences of all time. I'm still smiling.