+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwater backing

Default Saltwater backing

I need to install some 30 lb backing on a saltwater reel and spool. Is there any reason not to use one of the colored backings over white? Thanks

Blog Entries

A number of years ago I used colored backing and it tinted my fly lines which I did not like. So I switched to white. I would hope that the colored backing they make now would not do that, but there is nothing wrong with white so I have not been tempted to try colored backing again. Larry ---sagefisher---

I prefer bright colored backing for a three reasons. In some lighting conditions fluorescent charturese, orange, yellow, or pink backing is easier to see, which can be helpful to a guide or captain maneuvering a boat while I'm fighting a fish. I also like that little highlight of color that shows up in photographs. When multiple anglers are fishing from a boat and are hooked up simultaneously the bright backing colors are easier to sort when we have lines crossing over and under each other. This is a common situation when several anglers get hooked I'd on tuna or other pelagic species.

The fact that some colored backing may tint the back end of the flyline doesn't bother me. It doesn't hurt the line and it's the end away from the fish.

I put 50 yards of one color on first then switch to another color. That way I know I'm getting close to running out before I have to turn & chase!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks Guys, some good ideas that had not occurred to me. Sounds like you all have experience in the salt, what's the best knot for the fly line backing connection?

For Dacron I use a Bimini twist to make a long loop. I then fold the loop over and tie a two times through surgeons knot (often referred to as a double surgeons). That leaves me with a single line to the Bimini, two strands to the surgeons, then two loops. You want the final double loop big enough to pass a reel through. The two loops are looped to the end of the flyline. If you have trouble with the Bimini you can use a 6 turn surgeons knot to make the first loop with all else the same after that. This connection will be very strong and allow easy line changes. I actually use this connection on every rig I use from 1wt to 14wt.

Alternatively you can just use an Albright knot to connect backing to line. Not quite as secure but good enough for most situations however you need to retie if you change lines

Thanks TL, I've always used the Albright on all my freshwater set ups but for larger saltwater I think I use your suggestion.

tailingloop- I used to use a Bimini twist to make my loop in the backing to attach the fly line but after having a bluefish hit the Bimini while I was fighting a false albacore and costing me an entire fly line I now use an 8-10 turn surgeon's knot which presents a smaller target for the bluefish. Just my .02. Ron

When blue fish are thick they will hit anything that catches their eye. You would not believe how small of a knot they will hit once their hooked buddy starts to get the knots in your system creating bubble streams as he tries to break off. I've had some expensive days with hardware when they decided they wanted moving knots. Wire didn't matter seeing as they where hitting the knot where the wire met the leader.
    Your hooks sharp????

+ Reply to Thread