+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dang, I miss Al Campbell :(

Hybrid View

Default Dang, I miss Al Campbell :(

This was the first forum I joined (under a different moniker, Gardenfish) when I took up this fabulous sport in January of 2003. I kept finding Al Campbell all over this forum. He is responsible for some of the fire I have in my belly. I wish I could thank him. Maybe I did but I have forgotten. Al left a substantial legacy for such a humble man. Too Simple Al, you should have lived another thirty years.

Paul

I strongly agree with you Paul. When I first starting tying my own flies about 4yrs ago he was also a big influence in my tying. The Crappie Candy was one of the very first successful flies I tied and used with great success. He's "Too Simple" series of patterns I think I saved about all of them I found here. To this day I still use allot of them.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    This was the first forum I joined (under a different moniker, Gardenfish) when I took up this fabulous sport in January of 2003. I kept finding Al Campbell all over this forum. He is responsible for some of the fire I have in my belly. I wish I could thank him. Maybe I did but I have forgotten. Al left a substantial legacy for such a humble man. Too Simple Al, you should have lived another thirty years.

Paul
    I could not have said it better. He inspired me to tie my own flies and to build my own rods. I miss him too.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Al Campbell was my mentor in everything having to do with flyfishing

I joined FAOL on October 4th 1997. It wasn't until couple of years later that Deanna and Jame Birkholm met up with Al Campbell. I did all of Al Campbell Fly Tying Series, sending in my flies from his series to him for
    his evaluate..

It was Al Campbells "Building a Graphite Rod" series that taught me how to build my own fly rods.

It was Al Campbell who taught me, just about everything I have learns in regards to fly fishing.

I spent three days with Al Campbell at the Black Hills Fish-In.

It was not until 2003 that I again met with Al at the October Caddis Fish-In.

That was the last time I saw Al Campbell.

I helped raising over $600 for the Al Campbell Memorial Bench in Rapid City...

With the the help of Al Campbell, I blossomed to be Mentor to others on FAOL...

I still think of Al, every time I am on FAOL...

~Parnelli~
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Default that gave me chills

Steven, you perfectly addressed Al's legacy and what a wonderful one it is. I am grateful that his topics are all still here. I remember the bench and all. Would like to see it one day, maybe sit on it and tie some flies.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread